Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

We were lucky enough to get our hands on a set of the new Teraflex Falcon 2.1 mono-shocks and Falcon Nexus steering stabilizer for the RME JKU!! The Falcons are JK-specific shocks, they have a big of 2.25" body and massive 3/4" shock shaft, plus they're loaded with Redline synthetic shock oil and are fully serviceable and rebuildable. Teraflex really knocked the ball out of the park with these! The best part? They're hand-built right in West Jordan, Utah by offroad enthusiasts like you and I!

First off, the packaging was top-notch! You can tell that TeraFlex takes pride in these Falcon Shocks just by the way they're boxed up. I really like the step-by-step install instructions they include inside the box, lots of small details to help with bolting them on. I carefully unpacked the Falcons and took a few pics.

Each box comes with a note signed by the people that hand built the Falcon shocks and Nexus stabilizer, pretty neat to see who's handiwork you've received.

First impression was that these are like nothing else out there, very well designed and engineered.

Quick video about the build details...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5OQvQCTAqI
Install happening now and full long term test will be posted in this thread. Hoping to get to Moab tomorrow and start the trail testing!
The following users liked this post:
Rafael Gaztambide (12-04-2020)
Old 02-06-2017, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPdwOiDCSs

And my written review...

So the very first thing we noticed was the new handling characteristics on the freeway... between the Nexus steering stabilizer and the Falcon shocks, the entire Jeep felt much more planted at freeway speeds. Hitting a big rolling bump on the freeway, which before would toss & rock the Jeep around, now made the Jeep react composed and stable. The suspension would compress and then decompress and the Jeep would recover with hardly any drama. Within the first 10 miles my wife in the passenger seat mentioned how different the Wrangler now rode. On I70, heading towards Moab in Utah the speed limit is 80 MPH... previously, my JK rode OK but at speeds over 72-73 (actual speed) the Jeep was a little 'wobbly'. Now with the Falcon shocks and Nexus stabilizer, the Jeep was absolutely planted at up to 85 MPH! Driving over bridges and expansion joints before would create a little wobble in the steering wheel and with the Nexus steering stabilizer, the steering wheel is totally firm.... it doesn't show any indication of upsetting the Jeep. We do a lot of on-road driving to get to destinations, from driving out to the Rubicon last Summer to our trip down to Baja and back, having a Jeep that handles well on the road is very important to me. I still need to put some longer road miles on, but I think long drives will be less stressful due to the way the JKU now drives. This is how a lifted Jeep should ride!

Offroad the result is similar, when you hit a big rock or drop off a ledge the suspension does it's thing and the Falcon shocks control the body sway and unwanted movement with little drama. The suspension reacts and the Falcons control the suspension better than any lesser shocks. You don't get that rocking & rolling that sometimes happens offroad. At a few different places in Moab, we were able to shift into 2 High and get some speed up and the control that the Falcons added to an already good suspension was now impressive... I could drive a lot faster than I should! It wasn't really warm out, but after a little high-speed driving the shocks seemed very liner with their performance. No changes after trying to get them heated up. I still need to do further high-speed driving to get a better feel for their performance at speed.

One of the things I love about the Nexus stabilizer is how it works with the stock (or upgraded) tie rod, but now is relocated above the axle centerline and behind the tie rod, out of harms way. I've destroyed 2 steering stabilizers in the last couple years in the stock location and feel like the raised Nexus will be very well protected. Also, combining the axle end mount of the Nexus stabilizer with the track bar mount/bolt is genius as well, great use of a big bolt hole!

To wrap it all up, I think the Falcon shocks and Nexus steering stabilizer are nothing short of damn impressive. I doubt there is a better JK shock & stabilizer out there, bolt a set on your JK/JKU and you'll instantly see the difference in how your Wrangler works on road and off.

Last edited by Greg@RME; 02-06-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big fan of Teraflex products. Those front shocks looks fantastic, but that rear design is the same poor design of Rancho's shocks. Meaning, keeping the shock body down and exposed is a huge no-no in my book. I crunched a 9000xl fairly quickly-- that cheap plastic knob, and then on another trip, the shock body itself. That location is simply too vulnerable. I'm especially interested to see how many people running the reservoirs back there suffer the same fate.

I'd like to hear a justification why it was designed that way.

edit-- I watched the video response posted below. Very impressive. I was so annoyed at the poor design of Rancho that I assumed TF would suffer the same fate. I admit I'm likely wrong. The fact that they strengthened the lower portion of the shock is very impressive. I'm not 100% convinced that it's the best design, but I do like that this specific issue is addressed. A Rooster tail guard, or even a plastic sleeve could rectify the danger of rock chips on the shaft.Click image for larger version

Name:	fox-roost-shield-803-02-05222.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	666123

Last edited by bonanza; 02-07-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bonanza
Big fan of Teraflex products. Those front shocks looks fantastic, but that rear design is the same poor design of Rancho's shocks. Meaning, keeping the shock body down and exposed is a huge no-no in my book. I crunched a 9000xl fairly quickly-- that cheap plastic knob, and then on another trip, the shock body itself. That location is simply too vulnerable. I'm especially interested to see how many people running the reservoirs back there suffer the same fate.

I'd like to hear a justification why it was designed that way.
I know what you're saying, after the Rubicon my rear-lower shocks mounts took a lot of abuse!

The biggest reason for the rear shock bodies being down is to keep the shock shaft from getting beat-up by rocks, dirt, road-grime & debris that would get kicked up from the front tires. A beat up shock shaft ends up tearing up the shock seal & they start leaking pretty quickly. TeraFlex has built these Falcons to take a beating, they know what we're going to do to them... the aluminum body is built with "Type 3 Hard Anodized" which is incredibly hard for superior protection. Plus, the lower mount is built to pivot around, so the shock has some give and it will deflect out of the way it if it gets hung up. The thickness of the body cap and the body is also extremely overkill to take a beating and keep on going. These aren't cheap, stamped steel shock bodies like Rancho's.

Also, moving the shock inward towards the wheel/tire offers even more protection. With these 2.1 mono-shocks, the bottom of the shock body is very well protected by the shock mount... you could possibly back up and run the shock into a rock, but you would have to try VERY hard and at that point, the beefy build quality comes into play. For the 3.3 Adjustable Piggyback Shock with the reservoir built on the bottom, I understand they are working on a bolt on skid plate that contours the body cap and extends to provide extra protection for the adjusters and will help further protect your investment.

This photo is taken directly from behind the shock... you can see how protected the shock body is behind the mount and close to the wheel.

And if you haven't seen it, check out this video... they show the 3.1 Piggyback Shock with the reservoir built on the bottom taking on a rock ledge. You can see how the shock pivots out of the way, then the rock breaks off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyK1gHndasM

Last edited by Greg@RME; 02-06-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered a set of the 3.1 Piggybacks 2-weeks ago. Been anxiously awaiting delivery since then!!

Great review, btw. It really looks as though Teraflex did their homework with these shocks. Pretty cool to see that you received a personalized signature from their servicing staff. I can imagine the amount of QA that went into these shocks.

Will post up once I receive these in.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by numbah1
Ordered a set of the 3.1 Piggybacks 2-weeks ago. Been anxiously awaiting delivery since then!!

Great review, btw. It really looks as though Teraflex did their homework with these shocks. Pretty cool to see that you received a personalized signature from their servicing staff. I can imagine the amount of QA that went into these shocks.

Will post up once I receive these in.

Awesome, I'd love to hear your opinion on them... I think you'll love them, but I'm a little biased. I'm also a little jealous you're getting the 3.1 Piggybacks!! I'm sure you'll have some signed paperwork from the employees that built your 3.1's! I agree, that really is a neat little detail that makes a huge difference.

You can tell that TeraFlex engineered these Falcons from the ground-up, breaking the trend and setting their own. The end result is nothing short of impressive.

Glad you enjoyed the review, I think these are something special and wanted to try put together a quality tech & a great review thread... this is my best effort!

Last edited by Greg@RME; 02-06-2017 at 06:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rafael Gaztambide (12-04-2020)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@RME

One of the things I love about the Nexus stabilizer is how it works with the stock (or upgraded) tie rod,
While looking at the pictures you posted, this is the 1st question that came to mind. I really liked the look of that SS tie rod mount, but did notice that was a stock tie rod. How is that tie rod side mount able to accommodate the bigger diameter HD tie rods?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
While looking at the pictures you posted, this is the 1st question that came to mind. I really liked the look of that SS tie rod mount, but did notice that was a stock tie rod. How is that tie rod side mount able to accommodate the bigger diameter HD tie rods?
The clamp is removable, they when you order your Nexus stabilizer they ask you if you're running a stock or aftermarket tie rod and you get a stabilizer with the mount based on what you're running.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

A couple things-

It's peculiar that they specify 25psi for tire pressure. That by itself will soften the ride and kinda withdraws TF from the overland/ DD crowd. I drive mine on the highway everyday, it needs more than 25psi to avoid tearing up the tires. Did you drop your pressure to get the full benefit of the ride quality?

I see they specify an oil for the shocks, is there a place to add oil on them?

I'm guessing the rears wouldn't work nicely with lower shock relocation/ skid plates.....that would be unfortunate because they look to have potential but those of us who have committed to cutting the stock mounts may be out of luck.

Keep us posted long term. Lots of these new products are great when they come out and then the 'new' wears off and they aren't what they were. I hope these are different.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Awesome, I'd love to hear your opinion on them... I think you'll love them, but I'm a little biased. I'm also a little jealous you're getting the 3.1 Piggybacks!! I'm sure you'll have some signed paperwork from the employees that built your 3.1's! I agree, that really is a neat little detail that makes a huge difference.

You can tell that TeraFlex engineered these Falcons from the ground-up, breaking the trend and setting their own. The end result is nothing short of impressive.

Glad you enjoyed the review, I think these are something special and wanted to try put together a quality tech & a great review thread... this is my best effort!
I've been pretty giddy about these things; especially after watching the Teraflex Falcon videos time and time again. The cool part is that I'm able to upgrade these to the 3.3's later on (if I'm so inclined).

For the time being, I'm running the Bilstein 5160's and have been for the past 3 years. It's been a great shock and coming from a cheap Rusty's brand monotube, it was a night and day difference. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find that same feeling once I put these on. Like I said... I can't wait!

Quick Reply: TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer