Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

Old 02-07-2017, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	666148
Originally Posted by Rancho
Most people spin that shock around in the rear to protect that knob.
If you are crunching the shock body, move the shock up, there are a lot of option (like the Rockstars) that get the shock body up and out of the way.
So, to rectify poor design, I spend time and money to install a custom mounting option to protect entry level shocks?

I went to Fox, haven't had an issue since. (In full disclosure, I've knicked the reservoir body enough to shove it upward, but it didn't cave in like my 9000xl) Rancho's are fine for what they are, and I'm glad they are a popular product. But anything past a mild fire road, those things are going to suffer. There is simply no reason to put a shock body in harm's way rather than using a sleeve or similar shaft protector. Funny thing about rocks, is that they never lose in a fistfight with components.

Like a previous poster stated, the less of my Jeep that can smash into the rocks, the better. Look at this picture. If those are your shocks down low like that, what makes more sense? Less shock to smash, or more?

Last edited by bonanza; 02-07-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
TF has gotten much better with their customer service and answering the phones. It's interesting that they'd put that number out, it should be tucked away in the instructions somewhere. Maybe it's just me but I'd think the weight of the vehicle would be a little more crucial than the tire pressure if they're going to set a ride quality baseline.

They've differentiated 2dr and 4dr so why wouldn't they put in a weight category vs the recommended tire pressure? It seems a little odd to me but then again we rate shock length by "generic lift" instead of collapsed/ extended length as it should be.

The odd thing to me was their use of 25psi for tuning. I don't design shocks so maybe it makes sense? When I look at it, for DD highway use, I'm running 30-35psi. For off-road use, I'm airing down to 13-15psi. These seem to be pretty common PSI's ranges for those uses. I'm guessing 25psi is therefore a good sweet spot of compromise for tuning in relation to tire pressure. It's in the middle of the more common PSI ranges. I wouldn't get the best performance at 30-35psi, and I wouldn't get the best performance at below 15psi, but would likely get decent performance at both.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The odd thing to me was their use of 25psi for tuning. I don't design shocks so maybe it makes sense? When I look at it, for DD highway use, I'm running 30-35psi. For off-road use, I'm airing down to 13-15psi. These seem to be pretty common PSI's ranges for those uses. I'm guessing 25psi is therefore a good sweet spot of compromise for tuning in relation to tire pressure. It's in the middle of the more common PSI ranges. I wouldn't get the best performance at 30-35psi, and I wouldn't get the best performance at below 15psi, but would likely get decent performance at both.
I think that's fairly logical reasoning and makes sense as well. IMO, a lot of people that own Jeeps and take them off road aren't necessarily always going to be "rock crawling" and airing down to the low teens. If you're just going to be off roading in the mountains or the desert, but not necessarily crawling over big rocks, airing down to 25 psi still makes a decent difference from street pressures.

I would also think that at 25 psi the suspension and shocks are going to be doing more of the work controlling the Jeep's frame and body movements where if you were airing down even further, the tires are going to absorb more of the uncomfortable hits and bumps. Thinking about it that way, it makes sense to me that they would tune the Falcon shocks to optimally work with tires set at 25 psi.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@TeraFlex

I'm considering running the New Falcon shocks, I was wondering if these might work with the MetalCloak JK Outboard Front Lower Shock Mount Spacer Kit #7104 and the MetalCloak JK Wrangler Shock Relocation & Clearance Kit # 7025?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Here were are on a fire road out in Sand Hollow, no damage to the knob or the shock.
Weird....

See below in bold

Originally Posted by bonanza
Attachment 666148

So, to rectify poor design, I spend time and money to install a custom mounting option to protect entry level shocks? Wait a minute we didn't design the lower shock mount the last time I checked

I went to Fox, haven't had an issue since. (In full disclosure, I've knicked the reservoir body enough to shove it upward, but it didn't cave in like my 9000xl) Rancho's are fine for what they are, and I'm glad they are a popular product. But anything past a mild fire road, those things are going to suffer. There is simply no reason to put a shock body in harm's way rather than using a sleeve or similar shaft protector. Funny thing about rocks, is that they never lose in a fistfight with components. Hence why many spin the shock body to protect the knob

Like a previous poster stated, the less of my Jeep that can smash into the rocks, the better. Look at this picture. If those are your shocks down low like that, what makes more sense? Less shock to smash, or more? So to the point, spend the few bucks and get that shock up and out of the way.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan65USMC
@TeraFlex

I'm considering running the New Falcon shocks, I was wondering if these might work with the MetalCloak JK Outboard Front Lower Shock Mount Spacer Kit #7104 and the MetalCloak JK Wrangler Shock Relocation & Clearance Kit # 7025?
I've got the same rear brackets and I don't think the post will fit in the. It's tight enough getting the sway bar link into place. I'll have to look at the mount.

Greg- how far out does that post sit? I can go measure.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan65USMC
@TeraFlex

The fronts shouldn't be an issue, but rear could be an issue.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
Here were are on a fire road out in Sand Hollow, no damage to the knob or the shock.
Weird....
TeraFlex did alot of testing there also and yet no damage to our new Falcon shocks either.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis Woods explained, at the Winter 4x4 Jamboree in Hurricane, UT, that there is no restriction due to the remote reservoir hose and that allows the valving to happen more accurately.
I just wish they weren't so darn much money.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've got the same rear brackets and I don't think the post will fit in the. It's tight enough getting the sway bar link into place. I'll have to look at the mount.

Greg- how far out does that post sit? I can go measure.
I'll work on getting some pics with the shock removed and measurements so you have a better idea if you can make them work.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer