Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepfan30
Lots of great initial feedback on the Falcon shocks. Anyone have more wheeling feedback yet? Hit a rock yet? It would be great to hear what springs people are running with the shocks too. Thanks,
I've got one wheeling trip on my 3.3s. No issues.
I'm running 3" Teraflex springs with a 1" spacer, and the 4-6" shocks.

Here's a small write up I did C4x4.com - Off-Road Magazine

Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the chance to see and handle the Falcon shocks in person yesterday at the Morris 4x4 open house in Pompano Beach, FL. Teraflex had a booth there which Dennis was manning and the shocks were on a table where you could hold and handle them. They also had a nice 4 door JKU with a Chief conversion (gladiator grill) with Falcon shocks installed.

The shocks are really nicely made and the selector function felt good to use and made a difference you could feel when you compressed the shocks just by pressing them into the ground. A+ for the quality there!

Mounted on the back of the Teraflex demo vehicle the rear reservoirs stuck out more than I even suspected from watching the videos. In person the mounting of the rear reservoirs just looked like it was asking for them to be shredded and hang you up on the rocks. I was pretty disappointed because after first handling them on the table I was impressed.

If the main reason for the upside down mounting was to protect the shock shaft Teraflex should have mounted them with the reservoirs up top and simply used a plastic sleeve or boot to protect the exposed shaft. This has worked for generations. I still suspect the main purpose of the reverse mounting is to display shock bling for the mall crawlers, lol

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-23-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I got the chance to see and handle the Falcon shocks in person yesterday at the Morris 4x4 open house in Pompano Beach, FL. Teraflex had a booth there which Dennis was manning and the shocks were on a table where you could hold and handle them. They also had a nice 4 door JKU with a Chief conversion (gladiator grill) with Falcon shocks installed.

The shocks are really nicely made and the selector function felt good to use and made a difference you could feel when you compressed the shocks just by pressing them into the ground. A+ for the quality there!

Mounted on the back of the Teraflex demo vehicle the rear reservoirs stuck out more than I even suspected from watching the videos. In person the mounting of the rear reservoirs just looked like it was asking for them to be shredded and hang you up on the rocks. I was pretty disappointed because after first handling them on the table I was impressed.

If the main reason for the upside down mounting was to protect the shock shaft Teraflex should have mounted them with the reservoirs up top and simply used a plastic sleeve or boot to protect the exposed shaft. This has worked for generations. I still suspect the main purpose of the reverse mounting is to display shock bling for the mall crawlers, lol

A good friend running the Falcon 3.3's in Moab during EJS dragged one of his rear reservoirs over a big rock, bottom to top... hit them hard. No damage to the shock, just a big, superficial scrape.

I disagree about your 'theory' of building these with the reservoir down low for the mall crawlers... TeraFlex built these how they did for the exact reason that they did, to save the shock shaft from damage. That's what they've been saying the whole time! They built these things to take the abuse, not to look 'cool' at the mall.

Last edited by Greg@RME; 04-24-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Brake kits

My reply/question on this post is to TeraFlex (although I sent an email, a response here might help other viewers). I run Dynatrac ProGrip brake rotors and caliper brackets on my 2013 JKU with a 2.5" AEV lift. Will the rear Falcon 2.1 shocks have an interference issue with the rotors or calipers the way they are mounted "outside" of the shock mount at the bottom? I'm just a bit worried about them coming into contact during off-road flexing occasions. Thanks.

Last edited by swizzle; 03-08-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
After my last wheeling trip I found my reservoirs had some rock rash, and I've already raised the lower mounts 1.5" wth EVO rockstars with my reservoirs piggy back mounted up much higher than the Falcon reservoirs. This set up is shown below:

After this trip I relocated them above the swaybar:

This experience I had 2 weeks ago just confirms to me my original thoughts, the rear shocks need work it's just a bad design. It's hard to imagine any reason the falcon reservoirs would be better where they are currently mounted than up on top of the shock.
I've run Teraflex's Fox resis since '13 using Synergy rear shock mounts, They raise the mounting point 1.5" or so. HAve had no issues with rock rash, comtact, etc. With these or EVO's "Rockstars", which are a ripoff of Synergy's original, you just need to be mindful of your rear compression and corresponding rear bump stop lengths.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer