Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex full float or Chromoly shafts all the way around?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Teraflex full float or Chromoly shafts all the way around?

Hey folks,

Want to get some opinions and as the title says I’m at an impasse. I recently bent a rear axle shaft in my 2012 Rubicon and I’m currently debating whether or not I want to go with The TeraFlex for float kit or just swap out Chromoly axle shafts all the way around. I recently sold my old 5x5 bead locks so I’ll be buying new wheels anyway and part of me thinks it a good time to swap out front hubs for the locking hubs and part of me thinks I should just save the money and get RCVs up front and Yukon’s in the rear.

Anyone have opinions or experience?

The reason I like the TeraFlex kit is because I run a big tire for a 44 axle so I figured the full float would be an advantage And reduce wear on my wheel bearings. I also like the fact that I can disconnect the front hubs when I’m not using them.

The other part of me thinks as much as I drive my jeep the locking hubs aren’t a significant advantage and it would be a lot cheaper to just run RCVs and Yukon’s

Last edited by J-Brand; 10-19-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I think the tf full floater is a cool idea. have not heard any real reports on it tho. On paper it looks good. you will have to change rims tho which is more money unless you already have some.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Quite a few advantages to the TF full float, but cost ain't one of 'em. You can replace quite a few bent & broken axle shafts for what the TF kits + wheels cost. You can recoup some of the cost by selling what you currrently have. The best application of TF's FF kits is they allow you to run a FF D60 in front or rear along with a FF converted stock or stock size housing. Doing the FF conversion on both stock housings + new wheels is in the neighborhood of $6k. Nothing's cheap in this area. I've seen these kits up close and the quality is superb.

Another consideration for you is the Spyntec front hub conversion. Still have to swap out wheels, but will give you manual hubs in front. I've run them for the last 60k miles and am very pleased with them. Big change in on-highway driving dynamics by not having the front end connected all the time, plus no issues with front driveline vibes on highway.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There's no doubt that the TF conversion looks very appealing. That is....until you look at the price

I mean, sorry.....if I'm spending that much on the conversion for my lil D44 axles, it's time to just swap the whole axle out with big boy axles.
The following users liked this post:
SoK66 (04-25-2020)
Old 10-20-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Exactly, if you are going to that expense and work why would you not just build a junk yard axle. Its like throwing an ARB in a dana 30.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. You guys are kinda on the same page as me at this point. I priced the kit and I can get it delivered 3600 with my discount. I’m buying wheels anyway so that part doesn’t really count. Where as I can put full chromo’s in it for under 2k.

I just wish we had a disconnecting hub that didn’t require all this mess.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

See the Spyntec hubs by Solid Axle
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
See the Spyntec hubs by Solid Axle
if there were some dual bolt pattern rims a person liked with 5x5 and 5x5.5 that would be pretty simple way to go.

dang one more thing to think about.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Switch your rear axle shafts to dual pattern chromolys. Ten Factory, etc.

Quick Reply: Teraflex full float or Chromoly shafts all the way around?