Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats

Old 02-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats

Lol....too funny!!!

Little Rigid, Smitty...Little WONG Copy LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t3SkhvIB_E
Old 02-04-2017, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's hilarious!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice!! TeraFlex is a top notch company. Their customer support is second to none!!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

didnt take a rocket scientist or a million dollars to design it. Why would they think that people wont go elsewhere when they think there name on it makes it worth 200 bucks more then the others. Bottom line is if they charge 200 bucks more then the others do and they still make a profit then bottom line is here ripping off there customers. I bought the MORE set up. Real well made, a lot cheaper and buying from them is supporting a much smaller business. May not say terraflex on it but who cares. Teraflex makes entry level and midgrade stuff. There not known for op end equipment. I see it like it happens in the industry all the time. Look how expensive computers were until many different manufactures stepped in and made the same thing for less. The original companys that made millions when they had a monopoly had to either prove they were worth twice as much or lower there price to what there products were really originally worth. NO tears for terraflex here. If they want a good reputation maybe they ought to refund the money they ripped off overpricing there unit.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
didnt take a rocket scientist or a million dollars to design it. Why would they think that people wont go elsewhere when they think there name on it makes it worth 200 bucks more then the others. Bottom line is if they charge 200 bucks more then the others do and they still make a profit then bottom line is here ripping off there customers. I bought the MORE set up. Real well made, a lot cheaper and buying from them is supporting a much smaller business. May not say terraflex on it but who cares. Teraflex makes entry level and midgrade stuff. There not known for op end equipment. I see it like it happens in the industry all the time. Look how expensive computers were until many different manufactures stepped in and made the same thing for less. The original companys that made millions when they had a monopoly had to either prove they were worth twice as much or lower there price to what there products were really originally worth. NO tears for terraflex here. If they want a good reputation maybe they ought to refund the money they ripped off overpricing there unit.

I agree, the TF is overpriced and that's where the real problem is at. This video seems to be a marketing ploy to justify continuing to over charge for it. You can see that in the youtube response that it seems to be working. I still thought the video was pretty hilarious.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think the Teraflex unit is a ripoff, just see what the dealerships are charging...

Full disclosure, I bought one of the early hinges from TF and loved it. No complaints. But money is money, and my next hinge is going to be less expensive. Sorry TF, gotta stay price competitive! They got the bonus for being first to the market, now it's time to match the competition.

Edit-- watched the video. I posted without watching. I admire him for straight up calling out the other companies. I'm not convinced the price point is as competitive as it needs to be, but I'd definitely pay a little (read- little) more to support this gauntlet-throwing-down badassery.

Last edited by bonanza; 02-05-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The market will adjust and the prices will eventually level out.

Teraflex designed a great product.

If a company designs something, builds it, markets it, and stands behind it, and you agree to the price, then it's hardly a "ripoff".

Expecting to make a profit is what businesses do.

The only ripoff in this case are the cheap copycats.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on that logic, no one would buy anything but a Ford.

One could argue that other companies developed improved tire carrier designs. Some may be too new to remember the auto-detach feature of the first version from Teraflex. Nothing like seeing your 37" tire fall off going 75 down the interstate.

Dynatrac makes a D44 that is a copy of the Dana axle. Currie makes one, G2, etc.

That all said, it was funny
Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Have to say I drank the kool-add, ponied up the cash but to me it was well worth the extra $$. My TeraFlex Carrier

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1458277546.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	665966

looks and operates great just as it did when I had it installed. To me I'm willing to pay extra for quality and I spent a lot of time looking for tire carrier and rear bumper that wasn't going to have issues after install. I went with PSC RockBrawler bumper ($711.00) and the TeraFlex carrier ($688.00) from Northridge 2 years ago, to me it was well worth the investment.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Lol....too funny!!! Little Rigid, Smitty...Little WONG Copy LOL! YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t3SkhvIB_E
this came out 2 years ago

Quick Reply: Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats