Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats

Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
this came out 2 years ago
The video says March 18 2016
Old 02-05-2017, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when they first came out i did not see much wrong with the price point. They were the first to have it. They had to design it and go through all the R&D / setup / production. So its understandable to want to make some proffit and try to recoup all the costs associated with its production while maintaning a good quality product.

Others have coppied the design so they have not had to do any real r&d so the costs for them were much less. ITs a ton cheaper to copy some ones product after they have done all the work for you.

With that said i do belive the cost should come down a little to try and stay compeditive. I paid like 450$ when they first came out but i dont regret it at all. it has worked very well over the years.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

I have a TeraFlex carrier- which came with a basic build my dealer had put on my Jeep. After seeing the alternatives, I am very glad to have it.

I would pay a bit more for the original, TeraFlex's big mistake here was not patenting a clearly superior product.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.

Chinese pot metal or American Steel and fabrication? I'll give you a hint. #NotTeraflex
Old 02-06-2017, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the M.O.R.E. unit. Don't know how quality compares to the tf because ive never personally saw a tf. But I will say this is built like a tank. Fit and finish were excellent. It has greasable hinges and if a hinge ever did wear out its rebuildable and for some reason it took a hit and bent one of the hinges youd only have to replace that hinge not the whole system. that and MORE seems to be able to still make a decent profit at a 100 bucks less. Some hear might have a 100 bucks to donate to the poor underprivileged people at TF but I don't.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

with that mentality wed have only one brand of cars and trucks. One brand of guns. We still be using rolling block single shot rifles in the military. there would only be one airline and one brand of plane and you would be at there mercy for the cost of a flight. Free enterprise and competition is the rock this country was built on. Now if someone went so far as to pick a unit made in china because it was cheaper id be the first one to bitch. But as far as I know all of these units are made in America by americans. If one company can make them just as well built for less money that's the company that will be around for the long haul. Bottom line is you can about bet TF didn't invent these things. they too copied some home built unit or idea and improved on it. Most likely the man who deserves credit I some guy who had an idea in his garage and whipped out a prototype to try. I don't think anyone here is questioning TF quality or the fact they stand behind them. What is being questioned is having TF stamped on it is worth 1-200 bucks.
Originally Posted by LidLess07X
The market will adjust and the prices will eventually level out.

Teraflex designed a great product.

If a company designs something, builds it, markets it, and stands behind it, and you agree to the price, then it's hardly a "ripoff".

Expecting to make a profit is what businesses do.

The only ripoff in this case are the cheap copycats.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by erickeahey
I have a TeraFlex carrier- which came with a basic build my dealer had put on my Jeep. After seeing the alternatives, I am very glad to have it.

I would pay a bit more for the original, TeraFlex's big mistake here was not patenting a clearly superior product.
From my experience with Patents, they are trickier to enforce than you would think. The company I work for owns quite a few different patents where we are often considered a technology leader in our industry. It's on the order of thousands of patents filed. However, what tends to happen is that other companies can change the size/shape and although the technology and function is the same, it ends up not being a patent infringement unless it's a blatant exact copy. When I look at the Rugged Ridge vs. the Teraflex HD hinge carrier that is kind of what I see going on. It looks similar, and serves the same purpose but it's not an exact copy and unless TF filed a patent which includes a drawing that looks just like the Rugged Ridge, then they would have a difficult time enforcing their patent. A lot of these companies that are technology followers, invest resources in finding ways figuring out how they can change their design just enough to avoid patent infringement. My company, when filing a patent often spend time in trying to figure out how someone else might try to work around the original design intent and end up filing multiple variations with the patent which includes potential copycat designs which may never see the light of day. So it ends up being quite a lot of effort playing the guessing game.

On top of that, you need to have patent attorneys working around the clock to interpret if a patent infringement was made or not. It's really an area that takes quite of bit of specialty knowledge to enforce as well as defend against. The company I work for is a multiple billion dollar company. They're one of the Fortune 500. We have on staff attorneys where alls they do is look into patent infringements as well as defending against patent infringement claims and we also have to often hire outside contract attorney firms on top of those resources. These attorneys are often working with our design engineers. So it ends up being very costly as well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-06-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by erickeahey
TeraFlex's big mistake here was not patenting a clearly superior product.
As well, just because someone copied and made a similar product, that doesn't necessarily mean that Teraflex made a mistake and didn't file a patent for their design.

See Here:
Teraflex Hinge Carrier patent and associated design patents:
Tailgate hinge - TeraFlex, Inc.

Patent image document:
Tailgate hinge
Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Based on that logic, no one would buy anything but a Ford.

One could argue that other companies developed improved tire carrier designs. Some may be too new to remember the auto-detach feature of the first version from Teraflex. Nothing like seeing your 37" tire fall off going 75 down the interstate.

Dynatrac makes a D44 that is a copy of the Dana axle. Currie makes one, G2, etc.

That all said, it was funny
NO, the ProRock 44 is NOT a copy of the Dana axle. The center section of the PR44 was specially designed with improvements in oiling, strength, and shape, along with beefier axle tubes, much more robust end forgings, and our specially designed diff cover. You can learn about all the special features on a ProRock 44 at https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemb...k-44-axle.html
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
NO, the ProRock 44 is NOT a copy of the Dana axle. The center section of the PR44 was specially designed with improvements in oiling, strength, and shape, along with beefier axle tubes, much more robust end forgings, and our specially designed diff cover. You can learn about all the special features on a ProRock 44 at https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemb...k-44-axle.html
I wasn't saying it was a copy, I meant you took an axle that existed and found a way to make it a lot better. It is still a Dana 44 that uses parts designed by Dana and others. Nothing wrong with that. Extending that logic, there shouldn't be an issue for someone taking an existing product and making it better or increasing the value.

Quick Reply: Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats