Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terraflex or Tactik Adjustable Spare Mount with Hinge Reinforcement?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
I was considering this, but I've read a lot about fitment and finish issues.
Can you point me to where you read "a lot" about fit and a finish issues? Mine went on how you'd expect things to go when you're completely replacing hinges and have no stock parts to index off of like the TF recommends.

My personal "finish" issue is due to jeep not painting the whole tailgate, not an issue from mor/ryde.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
OH here we go. MURICA. YOu know over 3/4 of your MURICAN jeep is NOT American right?

The tactik bumpers are cost effective, strong, great designed and lightweight. Much better than the Cheap ebay bumper stuff. Better than some MURICAN companies actually. I have seen ALOT of subpar lumps of design come from American companies as well. that boat has sailed LONG ago my friend.
Spot on.

Originally Posted by ROXNMUD
Tactik is another Chinese product. Might work OK, but my American made Jeep is getting only American made upgrades. Look at the Crawler Conceptz spare tire carrier. American made with American steel.
I run Crawler Conceptz bumpers...the steel is from Taiwan. Poison Spyder also imports theirs I believe. This does not mean it's crap. Enough of this "ONLY 'MURICAN PRODUCTS." My Warn PowerPlant, a $1,700 winch, failed. Completely failed. My friend's Smittybilt and Recon winches are still going strong. American made does not mean quality anymore. Capitalism is great isn't it?

Last edited by BoraBora; 01-17-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Can you point me to where you read "a lot" about fit and a finish issues? Mine went on how you'd expect things to go when you're completely replacing hinges and have no stock parts to index off of like the TF recommends.

My personal "finish" issue is due to jeep not painting the whole tailgate, not an issue from mor/ryde.
Whats funny is that I never even noticed this on mine, until someone mentioned it. I looked and said, meh, no big deal. Its not bare metal just not a full coverage of top coat paint. You don't notice it until your on top of it.

NOTE: My last post was not an insult to americans. I love going to the US. Just a dig at the "I ONLY BUY AMERICAN" people. As I said before, That ship has long sailed. There are few truly American products anymore. Deal with it!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I love to support American company's.
I fought in Viet Nam and spilled blood for my great country, that being sad 700 bucks for Teraflex, or 500 bucks for Tactik, that doesn't take much thought process to figure out.
Sorry to offend the Teraflex fan boys, but I bought the Tactik from Rick @ Quadratec. Ordered it at 6pm Wednesday, and Fedex delivered it at noon time today!
I wanted to install it this afternoon, but the damn rain just won't quit.

Last edited by jdinny; 05-06-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go Smitty

I have the Smitty one. I have a friend with the TeraFlex one. Its basically the same thing. The teraFlex has better powder Coating and a smother finish. The Smitty has a Rougher finish but has a better Carrier portion IMO. Best part is it is only $499 vs $700 there is a whole thread on this topic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	646304   Click image for larger version

Name:	After4Washes.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	646305  
Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I have the Smitty one. I have a friend with the TeraFlex one. Its basically the same thing. The teraFlex has better powder Coating and a smother finish. The Smitty has a Rougher finish but has a better Carrier portion IMO. Best part is it is only $499 vs $700 there is a whole thread on this topic.
You've already stated you don't daily drive the jeep so maybe that should be part of your disclaimer. It's no secret that mine is a daily driver of 40k annual miles so my comparison is based on regular usage.

My experiences with the smitty/ Rugged Ridge fit and finish is why I would spend the extra few bucks for the warranty and name. Daily driver duty is a different kind of rough than actual wheeling.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very True. But if it can withstand 8 hours of wheeling, dropping off ledges and through rock gardens. I don't think that daily driving would be an issue. Yes my Jeep only has 11K on it but I have no doubt it will last past 100K.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Rugged Ridge version and kind of wish I got the Teraflex version or a bumper/tire combo. Reason being is there are a lot more options to mount accessories on those. Otherwise, the RR fit and finish is really nice.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
I have the Rugged Ridge version and kind of wish I got the Teraflex version or a bumper/tire combo. Reason being is there are a lot more options to mount accessories on those. Otherwise, the RR fit and finish is really nice.
I wonder if you could put the RR or Smittybilt actual adjustable Tire mount portion onto the Teraflex hinge?

I have the TF and am not in love with the tire mount part. An option like the others to tilt the wheel slightly would be good
Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Installed my Tactik kit today

Mounted my Tactik HD hinge and tire mount kit.
Very well packaged, no damage at all.
Looks very stout, and not much different from my neighbors TF hinge.
Very easy install, took about an hour and a half 'cause I took the time to paint the unpainted spots under the factory hinge. The only problem with the kit, is the upper screws for the third brake light are about 3/4" too long. Just shortened them with a Dremel. With my AEV wheels, I slide the tire mount in as far as it would go, and it was perfect. The sidewall is tight against the hinge on the passenger side, and the stock bumper on the drivers side.
Took it up a potholed up rough road, and no more banging tailgate !
I got a super deal on this from Quadratec/Rick, and smoking fast delivery as always.

:iamhappy:

Quick Reply: Terraflex or Tactik Adjustable Spare Mount with Hinge Reinforcement?