Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TF 2.5 coil lift actual amount

Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TF 2.5 coil lift actual amount

Last week I finally started the tires, wheels, and lift. After some agonizing moments, I decided to go with 285/70R17 for now, and move to 315/70R17 in a couple of years. The lift is probably unnecessary at this time. However, I like the leveled look with higher stance. After a shop installed the lift for me, the amount it raised was disappointing. For the Teraflex 2.5 coil spring lift with 9550 vss shocks, I measured 2-5/8 at front (under rock rail just behind the front fender), and 1-1/2 at rear (under rock rail just ahead of the fender). My JKUR is leveled within 1/2 front to back. I still have my stock bumpers with no winch. The only changes are the new smittybilt Pivot HD tire carrier and the new spare. These were installed before my initial measurement. So the low number at rear was not influenced by the added weight. I got some questions need help from the Forum friends:

1. What were the actual lift heights did you get from the same lift?
2. If the heights were inadequate, what did you do to remedy the problem?
3. What part of the performance will be affected if I left it alone? (I suspect that upward travel of the rear tires would be limited by the 1 shortage.)

thanks for for the help.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

you can add some 1/2-1" spacers in the back if you want to raise the back. You might want to look at the numbers on the coils to make sure they did not install a 2 door kit on your 4 door.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Jadmt, thanks for the suggestion. I did not see any part number on or attached to the coils.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Your current rake is roughly 1/2" lower in front? Or the rear is 1/2" lower than the front? As noted, you can add small spacers on top of the coils to further level whichever end is lower. But realistically, if you were expecting any suspension company to release coils that will be dead-on accurate in leveling across the wide variety of jeep models, equipment packages, mods, loads, styles, etc, not really gonna happen. Heck, if you had chosen MetalCloak, you'd be sitting closer to 3.5 inches instead of 2.5, since they build toward heavier rigs.

I don't know the specs on those particular shocks, but assuming a 10" travel shock packaged with a 2.5" lift, you would theoretically have 5" up and 5" down. If you end up with 1.5" of actual lift, it would net 4" up, 6" down. And with 3.5 inches of lift, that same shock would be 6" up and 4" down. But, all three scenarios are still the full 10 inches of travel. Uptravel itself may be limited by the tire size, fender choice, and the amount of bumpstop when trying to stuff bigger tires with smaller lifts, but with 33's and a 2.5" lift, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-06-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf View Post
Your current rake is roughly 1/2" lower in front? Or the rear is 1/2" lower than the front? As noted, you can add small spacers on top of the coils to further level whichever end is lower. But realistically, if you were expecting any suspension company to release coils that will be dead-on accurate in leveling across the wide variety of jeep models, equipment packages, mods, loads, styles, etc, not really gonna happen. Heck, if you had chosen MetalCloak, you'd be sitting closer to 3.5 inches instead of 2.5, since they build toward heavier rigs.

I don't know the specs on those particular shocks, but assuming a 10" travel shock packaged with a 2.5" lift, you would theoretically have 5" up and 5" down. If you end up with 1.5" of actual lift, it would net 4" up, 6" down. And with 3.5 inches of lift, that same shock would be 6" up and 4" down. But, all three scenarios are still the full 10 inches of travel. Uptravel itself may be limited by the tire size, fender choice, and the amount of bumpstop when trying to stuff bigger tires with smaller lifts, but with 33's and a 2.5" lift, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Thanks for the feedback. The 2.5 lift is for my eventual change to the 35s. Im not sure if the 2-5/8 and 1-1/2 results are enough for that. Currently the front is 1/2 lower and I am not enthusiastic about adding 1 spacer to the rear restoring the rake. I checked that my bump stop spacing is about 4, I have close to 5 in the wheel well vertically.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You do realize that almost all lift kits are advertised by the amount of lift you gain up front? The rear is usually lifted less in order for the vehicle to sit level when installed because this is what most customers want. You actually gained more lift than the kit advertised. You can add coil spring spacers to raise the front or rear slightly, just don't go too far.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wandell View Post
You do realize that almost all lift kits are advertised by the amount of lift you gain up front? The rear is usually lifted less in order for the vehicle to sit level when installed because this is what most customers want. You actually gained more lift than the kit advertised. You can add coil spring spacers to raise the front or rear slightly, just don't go too far.
I did not realize that. In the past, I thought that the lift amount was based on the average of the front and back gains. I do consider the coil spring spacer approach. Current thoughts are adding 1/2 spacers at front and back.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

I communicated with a customer service rep of Teraflex. Here is the information. I hope this can help someone in the future.

The 2.5” lift is based on comparing to basic stock JKUS.
The rear springs should be 11” to 12” at riding height on a JKUS.
The rear springs would sag by about 1/4” for every 60 lb. (approx.) at the rear

For a Rubicon model with options which added weight, such as trailer towing package, the stock rear spring would be stiffer. Thus, the net lift would be less after installing coil spring lift. My JKUR Teraflex rear spring measured 11” with a tire carrier and a larger spare. Now I am thinking about adding 1/2” spring spacers front and back to bring the net gains to 3-1/8”/2”.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

How/ where did you measure the 11"? I have had saggy TF on a basic JK sport with zero options and minimal extras. With the unlimited already weighing more, I don't see how an aluminum rear bumper and a 33" on stock wheel would have netted less lift than a stock JKU Hard Rock.

I've since moved on to other kits and I'm currently with Metalcloak but I'm still curious to see what my coils measure out. For comparison sake, the basic 2dr now has more weight and is 4900lbs, though a chunk of that is unsprung.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Measure spring from top where it meets isolator to bottom where it sits on the spring perch.

Quick Reply: TF 2.5 coil lift actual amount

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: