Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump stop installation

Old 08-03-2018, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump stop installation

How long would it normally take to install front bump stops on 2011 JKU Rubicon? I would like to know roughly what it’s going to cost me labor/time wise from the garage.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It would depend on what bump stops you are installing. Air bumps take more time and some types require you to drill and tap the pad. A shop that knows what it is doing should be able to do in 2-3 hours.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It would depend on what bump stops you are installing. Air bumps take more time and some types require you to drill and tap the pad. A shop that knows what it is doing should be able to do in 2-3 hours.
Thanks had know idea what to expect really they are the drill and tap type I assume. Long story but Had lift installed by an shitty mechanic and didn’t install them
Old 08-03-2018, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you don’t mind and have the tooling you can bang it out yourself. The rear axle is easy with the Metalcloak ones I installed. They just bolt straight on. The front depending on your access to tooling will be more difficult. If you can get the ride jacked up high enough you might be able to slide a 90 degree drill in to drill out the hole through the spring and press on. If not enough space to squeeze a drill in, well that’s disconnect the shocks, slide springs out and drill away.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, guys oil changes are about the limit of my mechanical ability. I like to have an idea of the time involved for the job before taking to a shop. F'IN mechanic bullshitted me into believing that I would not need them said i would save the extra labor charge and that the springs would never compress that much..

Last edited by Gi Joe; 08-04-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Gi Joe
Thanks, guys oil changes are about the limit of my mechanical ability. I like to have an idea of the time involved for the job before taking to a shop. F'IN mechanic bullshitted me into believing that I would not need them said i would save the extra labor charge and that the springs would never compress that much..
A shop with a lift gonna undo a couple bolts, lift the jeep up. thus drooping the front axle easily, pop springs out, drill a hole in each spring perch, install spring and bumps, and reinstall the few bolts they had to remove to allow the axle to droop (TB, sway bar links, lower shock bolts). It shouldn't take a real shop very long at all. This should have been done by the original installer as the only additional work was literally drilling 2 holes. I'd guess 30 mins of work for a shop on top of their game, if they are using a lift.......course, they're all probably going to dink you around. I'd guess folks might tell you an hour. Floor jack and jack stands takes a little longer than an actual lift.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
A shop with a lift gonna undo a couple bolts, lift the jeep up. thus drooping the front axle easily, pop springs out, drill a hole in each spring perch, install spring and bumps, and reinstall the few bolts they had to remove to allow the axle to droop (TB, sway bar links, lower shock bolts). It shouldn't take a real shop very long at all. This should have been done by the original installer as the only additional work was literally drilling 2 holes. I'd guess 30 mins of work for a shop on top of their game, if they are using a lift.......course, they're all probably going to dink you around. I'd guess folks might tell you an hour. Floor jack and jack stands takes a little longer than an actual lift.
Thanks man!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TF front ones are no drill, just go on top of stockers.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mewaschuk
TF front ones are no drill, just go on top of stockers.
Great even better! Have it booked on Thursday morning?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much do you need? I just needed 1" so I gorilla epoxied a hockey puck on each side. Worked out great. When I buy a bigger lift I will take them off and bolt on some better ones but until then I don't expect any problems.

Quick Reply: Bump stop installation