Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about the JCR Offroad Vanguard Front Bumper, but I have concerns

Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about the JCR Offroad Vanguard Front Bumper, but I have concerns

I have a 2013 Sahara, and I am looking at getting the JCR Offroad Vanguard full width front bumper. It's gonna cost a decent amount after powder coating it and having to order the skid plate separately and get that powder coated as well.

I've heard that for 2013 models, the vacuum pump has to be moved in order to install the bumper. Has anyone installed a JCR front and found a way around this? On JCR's website, they have a YouTube video and they advise cutting two pieces that are used to secure the vacuum in order to use the mounting bracket that allows you to lay the vacuum pump horizontally to proceed with installing the bumper. Here is the link[fast forward to 1:42 to see the part where they are working with the vacuum pump]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exx3e1ZuPm0 I like the bumper a lot, but having to invest what will be over $1,000 and still have to make slight modifications by making the cuts in my vehicle, I've been a little hesitant.

Also, I live in Virginia where we have to have front licenses plates. Is there an easy way to install that?

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the JCR stubby with recessed winch. Cut the vac bracket, used the new bracket, no issues. For the front plate, I drilled and tapped the bumper and bolted the plate on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-275264637.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	565508  

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 07-16-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase__Smith
I have a 2013 Sahara, and I am looking at getting the JCR Offroad Vanguard full width front bumper. It's gonna cost a decent amount after powder coating it and having to order the skid plate separately and get that powder coated as well.

I've heard that for 2013 models, the vacuum pump has to be moved in order to install the bumper. Has anyone installed a JCR front and found a way around this? On JCR's website, they have a YouTube video and they advise cutting two pieces that are used to secure the vacuum in order to use the mounting bracket that allows you to lay the vacuum pump horizontally to proceed with installing the bumper. Here is the link[fast forward to 1:42 to see the part where they are working with the vacuum pump]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exx3e1ZuPm0 I like the bumper a lot, but having to invest what will be over $1,000 and still have to make slight modifications by making the cuts in my vehicle, I've been a little hesitant.

Also, I live in Virginia where we have to have front licenses plates. Is there an easy way to install that?

Thanks for the help, guys!
No. Almost all bumpers with any brand with recessed winches will require moving the vacuum pump. I did use the SCR Smittybilt bumper for a while and it didn't require moving the pump. There is only so much room. Blame Mopar.

Absolutely no one will know that you have "Cut" your vehicle... its all hidden behind any bumper.

For license plates, I recommend getting the AEV license plate bracket that mounts between the fairlead and the bumper. You can run it high or low, has quick releases for the license plate and looks very professional. (its the only AEV product I'd recommend).
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the JCR Stubby with factory fogs. No modifications to the JK at all. I believe that any bumper with a recessed winch (mine is not) requires moving the vacuum pump.

However, JCR provides the bracket and instructions to move it properly.

Call the guys at JCR. I have met them on a couple of occasions and I couldn't be more impressed with the product or the people. Just received my mid width rear bumper. Hoping to get it installed tomorrow or Friday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JCR and Smittybilt.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	565685
Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Any bumper with a sunk down winch will require relocating the vacuum pump on 2012-2014 JK's. It's one of the trade offs for the design.

It's not a big deal and easy to do. We've even had customers that have told us that they only had to cut the threaded stud off the top of the factory bracket for the bumper to clear.

Give us a call or shoot us an email if you have any questions. We don't spend a lot of time browsing forums. Info@jcroffroad.com or 269-353-1184.

~Brian
Old 07-19-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chase__Smith
I like the bumper a lot, but having to invest what will be over $1,000 and still have to make slight modifications by making the cuts in my vehicle, I've been a little hesitant.
It's easy, stop worrying. A saws-all will cut it off in about 10 seconds, we all do it, no big deal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-803110878.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	566292

My winch was able to clear with just the front nub cut off as shown above. Again, no big deal.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I installed the JCR stubby with recessed winch. Cut the vac bracket, used the new bracket, no issues. For the front plate, I drilled and tapped the bumper and bolted the plate on.
Which bumper is this? I'm trying to find a stubby, recessed winch bumper with factory fogs. I couldn't find this on the JCR site.
TIA!
JT
Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you'll find it very hard to find a recessed winch, stubby bumper, with factory fogs. There just isn't that much room in there for all of that and make the bumper string enough to handle a winch pull.

The JCR line up has always been a favorite of mine. I have the Dagger, which has factory fogs, but not a recessed winch. I believe the have another that has the recessed winch, but not the factory fogs.

If you found one that had both options, I would look closely at it to see just how strong of a bumper it is. You might lose something that you CAN'T see and it might to be what you want.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I think you'll find it very hard to find a recessed winch, stubby bumper, with factory fogs. There just isn't that much room in there for all of that and make the bumper string enough to handle a winch pull. The JCR line up has always been a favorite of mine. I have the Dagger, which has factory fogs, but not a recessed winch. I believe the have another that has the recessed winch, but not the factory fogs. If you found one that had both options, I would look closely at it to see just how strong of a bumper it is. You might lose something that you CAN'T see and it might to be what you want.
I believe the bumper I bought from JCR was discontinued. It has recessed winch, factory fogs and is a stubby. You are correct, there aren't many out there.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

personally i think im gonna get a dagger front bumper this fall, the winch isnt recessed so no vacuum pump clearance issues, and the dagger is smexy.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the JCR Offroad Vanguard Front Bumper, but I have concerns