Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on bedlining exterior of Jeep?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on bedlining exterior of Jeep?

I saw a few JKUs that were bedlined instead of painted and it seemed fairly durable and didnt look too bad. Ive got a few spots where the black paint is pretty well gone from baking in the sun and it got me thinking about bedlining the whole exterior with something like raptorliner.

What do you guys think about it? Is it going to hurt the value of my Jeep if I go to sell it? How does it hold up vs paint? Any idea on cost (DIY or professionally done)?

Also, is it possible to achieve a rather fine texture with some of the FIY be liners? Something more like a rough sandpaper instead of the larger, deep texturing i usually see?

Last edited by AXIS; 09-15-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I would never bedline my exterior because it's not for me but if you want a smoother texture then you can just shoot fast and close. I've done the Raptor liner a few times now and I like it for what I'm using it on.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I bed line my underside chassis and suspension as part of rust protection. I don't think I would do this to the rest of my exterior. I don't think that would look good at all.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think raptor liner looks good. I just did my interior floors with it and I have a friend with the exterior of his F250 done with it in two tone and it looks very good. However I'm sure it's an acquired taste and not everyone will like it so that means it would make less people interested if you went to sell it.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

We have local one here that is on the exterior and it looks dumb, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw a few pictures that looked pretty cool, but its hard to tell without being up close actually. My thoughts are that if the texture is fine enough and its not very glossy to where you get the orange peel reflections, it might looks pretty good. And Im definitely attracted to the cost and ability to do it myself.
The black one below looks alright in the pictures. I really like the blue too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-line-x-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-001.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	674927  
Old 09-17-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do a wrap instead of the bedliner stuff.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
We have local one here that is on the exterior and it looks dumb, but whatever floats your boat.
Ditto. Perfectly stated.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Go for It

I did my 2012 in Linux and I couldn't be happier. After 4 years of heavy use it has held up with absolutely no issues and still looks good. I agree that it is NOT for everyone but all of my trail buds love it as much as I do. I recommend this for everyone who is interested.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Sounds like another fad, where 15 years down the road most everyone who did it will look back and say, "LOL!!! that was such a dumb idea but seemed cool at the time".

So how's it wax up?

When a seagull flies over and drops a load on your hood, how well does that come off?
Does it leave a big white stain ring on the hood, and how do you clean it up? Pull out a rattle can and re-paint?

I hope you're planning to keep it forever if you do this since there won't be a big resale market for it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on bedlining exterior of Jeep?