JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Thoughts on a lift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/thoughts-lift-350305/)

RiversEdge 05-10-2019 06:44 PM

Thoughts on a lift

Hey I just have a general question for the members on here. I just got my first wrangler an 09 jk I plan on doing a mild build gonna run 35s 0r 37s regear the diffs and add some accessories, my question is I plan on doing some offloading but not to the extreme and am just wondering about the best choice of lift kits for what I'm gonna be doing. What's you views on spring spacers been thinking about spacers and rubicon springs for a total lift of around 3.5inches. Just thinking of the most bang for my buck for what I plan to use the jeep for. Thanks

Mr.T 05-10-2019 09:11 PM

Suggest reading the sticky threads at the top of this link. Everyone has their own preferences and budget -- A key point is knowing up front all the issues that increase with tire size and lift height. Also take a look at the build threads, those are good places to compare what others have done and figure your'e own path (and start you're own build thread).

:cheers:

nthinuf 05-10-2019 10:50 PM

Yep, start with the two threads stuck right to the top of this Modified Tech area. If you aren't already up to speed on the components, spend a little time getting a handle on what they all actually do, and why they may be more wanted as lift height increases. (specifically, the different forms of caster correction. If you end up in the 3.5"+ range, what are your thoughts on a draglink flip. If/when the front driveshaft spits out its grease, what is the plan. etc, etc.)

Nothing wrong with spacer lifts, and lots of people have swapped to taller versions of stock coils to gain cheap lift height. Go for it - if the take-off parts are cheap/free. There is even a big thread floating around here somewhere with all of the coil tag numbers from the different JK models.

If you end up going aftermarket, it's good to remember that for some of these mfg's, 2.5" may not mean 2.5". It could easily be 3.5 or more. So a little reading on actual lift heights gained from various mfg's coils may not be wasted time. For brand suggestions, names like AEV, Teraflex, Rock Krawler, and Rancho are all popular. But be sure to not limit yourself, check out folks like MetalCloak and Synergy as well, you might be surprised by them. But as with everything, there will be a bunch of opinion involved, so read and then read some more...

TheDirtman 05-11-2019 06:27 AM

Running 37's done right is not a mild build.

jordy 05-13-2019 07:48 PM

Running 37's on the cheap is the most expensive kind of build.

resharp001 05-14-2019 07:48 AM

Sometimes I wonder......had I known the road that laid ahead of me at the time, if I would have been happy on 2.5" and 35s.

DEJK2012 05-14-2019 07:52 AM

Issue is there is no such this as a "budget" with a Jeep :rotflmao2:

jordy 05-14-2019 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4342174)
Sometimes I wonder......had I known the road that laid ahead of me at the time, if I would have been happy on 2.5" and 35s.

It's funny that most don't realize that a JK/JL on 35's with lockers front and rear, along with a winch, will take you pretty much every place the average Jeep owner wants to go, and most likely even some they didn't intend to visit. :rotflmao2:

Yes, 37's and 40's are fun, but almost to the point of being boring in some cases. The guys on the 35's have to have more of a sense of accomplishment going up an obstacle they had to work for that the guy in the bigger rig popped right up.

MeatCurtains 05-15-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RiversEdge (Post 4341999)
Hey I just have a general question for the members on here. I just got my first wrangler an 09 jk I plan on doing a mild build gonna run 35s 0r 37s regear the diffs and add some accessories, my question is I plan on doing some offloading but not to the extreme and am just wondering about the best choice of lift kits for what I'm gonna be doing. What's you views on spring spacers been thinking about spacers and rubicon springs for a total lift of around 3.5inches. Just thinking of the most bang for my buck for what I plan to use the jeep for. Thanks

You'll probably need new axles, I've seen a few guys crack the knuckles off the end with bigger tires. Not to mention 37's are crazy big for a driver. If this is your daily I would highly recommend going with 35's max. They are less expensive, will ride a little better, and maintain better fuel economy. They also will weigh less and have a lower possibility of obliterating the drive train.

As mentioned elsewhere. With a good lift, good tires, lockers, and recovery equipment coupled with the know-how to use it, 35s will take you just about anywhere you point it if you know what you are doing.

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 (Post 4342176)
Issue is there is no such this as a "budget" with a Jeep :rotflmao2:

Try owning a Subaru WRX or STI.