Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on my build going forward

Old 11-05-2018, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on my build going forward

I am curious as to others thoughts on moving forward with my build ’13 JKU. I could just leave well enough alone and not spend any money. But it’s a jeep, LOL! I am just curious to hear some thoughts on what you all would do give my current set up and the options I list. Looking for legitimately constructive and informative comments please. Forgot to mention, this is my daily river, so it sees a lot of pavement time. Daily drive consists of city and some interstate. Not many distance trips as with a family of 5 we normally take the wife's suburban if the trip is any real distance/time.

Current Set up
  • 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 dr) – 55,000 miles
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Rock Krawler 3.5" lift with all 8 control arms, springs, track bars, etc.
  • JRi Shocks
  • 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Spyderlock Wheels
  • Currie Ent. 60 VXR axles (front & rear)
  • 4:88 gears with ARB lockers (front & rear)
  • 1350 Drive Shafts (front & rear)
  • PSC Big Bore Hydro Assist steering
  • sPod switch system
  • ARB Twin Air Compressor mounted under the hood on a M.O.R.E. mount on the driver side
  • Front JCR Offroad Bumper with Engo 10K winch
  • Rear JCR Offroad Bumper with tire carrier
  • Ace Engineering Rock Rails with Jeep Rubi Rails
  • As you can see, it's a fairly heavy rig and will most likely add skids too
Option #1
Go with an LS swap Jeep seems to run ok with the 4:88 gearing and my set up. But my rig is heavy and the extra horse power would be nice. May not really be an option as still recovering from the axle swap and 37s. But still gonna explore it.

Option #2
Upgrade suspension and go with coil overs (taller lift). Reason I am throwing this option in the mix is with installing the Currie VXR60s make it pretty tight under my rig with the current RK 3.5 lift. Tight meaning clearances with up travel. So I would be looking to go a little taller.

Option #3
Skip both options #1 and #2 and do various smaller upgrades such as interior items, roll cage, maybe swap around bumpers/armor, replace Engo with with something else like a Warn, etc. etc. Ideas are welcome.

Last edited by MAG00; 11-05-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Guessing you are opposed to considering supercharger since that wasn't listed? Seems like would add power with a smaller price tag than an LS swap, specially since your 3.6L only has 50k miles or so, not to mention you could always resell the SC later down the road if anything changed.

One thought about a full roll cage....you're adding more weight to an already heavy jeep that you wish had more power. Also, out of the 3 options, once it's done this will be the thing you notice the least, especially daily driving. More power, and improved suspension would be things you notice every single time you drive the jeep.

If think the current power is adequate for the time being at least, I like the coilover option the best. Definitely more of a luxury upgrade than a requirement, assuming you have the money to throw at the jeep.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Guessing you are opposed to considering supercharger since that wasn't listed? Seems like would add power with a smaller price tag than an LS swap, specially since your 3.6L only has 50k miles or so, not to mention you could always resell the SC later down the road if anything changed.

One thought about a full roll cage....you're adding more weight to an already heavy jeep that you wish had more power. Also, out of the 3 options, once it's done this will be the thing you notice the least, especially daily driving. More power, and improved suspension would be things you notice every single time you drive the jeep.

If think the current power is adequate for the time being at least, I like the coilover option the best. Definitely more of a luxury upgrade than a requirement, assuming you have the money to throw at the jeep.
Well, I guess I haven't given much thought to the SuperCharger. Seems I have read mixed reviews on them all. What is everyone's thoughts on super chargers on the 3.6? Do you actually get much out of them for the money? Also, which one would you recommend and why?

And I guess doing a supercharger and coil overs would kind of check off both boxes in a way and for less than an LS swap. Not as much power as a LS swap but should help.

Any recommendations on a coil over kit? The Rebel Recon coil over kit seems nice and easy to install.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I have owned several LS vehicles and tuned many more - several of which are LS-swapped jeeps. I love the LS platform. Having said that, I bought the Jeep with the intention of keeping the 3.6 and installing a Prodigy stage 2 turbo kit. I think the 3.6 is perfectly adequate down low and off-road. Where I miss the power is up top - merging on the highway and passing - right where the turbo will shine. They just make power so efficiently.

Depending on how resourceful and handy you are, you can get into an LS swap fairly cheap. Going with a turbo or supercharger on your 3.6 though will keep all the factory systems in place though, is minimally invasive, easily reversible if needed, and should provide plenty of power. My vote is FI and coil-over swap.

Last edited by hivoltagedriver; 11-05-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The roll cage is the biggest question here. Either you need it or you don't. Do you do large hills or go high speed? If yes on either one then get a cage. If you think you could roll with what you do on the trails then that would be your first priority.

You shouldn't need more lift if you will continue to run 37s.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Move to 35" tires and 2" of lift. Daily driving a jeep on 37's is just dumb.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Move to 35" tires and 2" of lift. Daily driving a jeep on 37's is just dumb.
I can't really disagree with your statement and I could have saved a ton of money staying where I was at with my rig. Hind sight being 20/20, I probably should have looked at other mods like re-gearing my factory axles for what I was running (35s), and could have spent my money (left over from what I actually spent on axles, wheels, tires) on several other mods.

However, considering where I am at today, I would really appreciate input on the items I have mentioned....performance from an engine stand point or recommendations on changes/upgrades to my suspension considering the tires, axles, etc. that I currently have. For example...."I would recommend going to XYZ suspension (ht. and manu.) considering your set up, driving, needed clearances, etc." In other words, based upon where my rig is today, what would you do to improve the suspension, power, or other mods.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Unless you have the extra money laying around and all your bills are paid I would throw out option 1. Option 2 will lead to a more unstable ride. coil overs are nice but a waste of money on a daily driver unless you meet the recommendations for option 1 ( money to throw away) Options #3 looks again like you are just throwing away money. Why change out a good working winch? Why does a daily driver need a cage? Sounds like you are more bored then anything. Maybe take that money you are going to waste and plan a trip to Moab or the Rubicon and drive the jeep. Take a trip thru Colorado passes or make a trip to some of the off road parks on the East coast.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Unless you have the extra money laying around and all your bills are paid I would throw out option 1. Option 2 will lead to a more unstable ride. coil overs are nice but a waste of money on a daily driver unless you meet the recommendations for option 1 ( money to throw away) Options #3 looks again like you are just throwing away money. Why change out a good working winch? Why does a daily driver need a cage? Sounds like you are more bored then anything. Maybe take that money you are going to waste and plan a trip to Moab or the Rubicon and drive the jeep. Take a trip thru Colorado passes or make a trip to some of the off road parks on the East coast.
All good points. This is why I posted this. To get ideas, input, etc. Yes, my bills are paid and only debt is the mortgage. :-) Again, your comment on option 2 is why I posted this as it adds to my research as to what or where I want to go forward with my rig....if anything. No, I don't "need" to change out the winch or install a cage, those were just some ideas.

I would love to haul off and make the trips you mention. Unfortunately, work and family commitments don't necessarily allow for it. Maybe one day. And to be totally honest, I believe a big part of all this is being bored and wanting to change something. I guess you could say this would all be in "anticipation" or "wishful thinking". Sad I'm sure to some, but it is what it is at the moment.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Man I wish Rubicon trail wasn't a full 2 day journey for us guys in Texas just to get there. Have to imagine it's all just a pipe dream for someone on the east coast!

I get the building for function, but I also get that sometimes building is the journey rather than the destination. For 99% of people out there, I think things boil down to exactly what Dirtman said, but there are special situations where it's not about what is practical or not. Oddly enough, I think most that I know that have built to D60s, 40s, and name whatever else you want, actually have overbuilt not from the "cool" aspect, but from the "fun" aspect. There does come a time you're not willing to put your highly invested JK through a trail that is built for a buggy even though that is what you have built for, yet everything else hardly offers a challenge. Fortunately for my budget, it's been a big reason I've continued to be quite content on my 37s and D44s.

I try not to look too hard at things I can't afford, so I don't have first hand ownership experience with superchargers or turbos. I have a friend with a RIPP on the 3.6L, and is happy. Also have a friend that had a Prodigy Turbo and a Sprintex on the same 3.6L. Based on his experience, I'd never consider the Prodigy turbo myself. Between the RIPP and Sprintex, if I ever came in to unlimited budget and I wasn't ready for an engine swap, I'd lean towards the Sprintex and sacrifice some of the high end. I like the aspect pointed out earlier (for any FI).....1) you can install yourself, and 2) you can return to stock easily.

Either way, we all choose fun hobbies to blow our money on. Happy building. I'll have to remember you're out there and ping you next time head to Hot Springs!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my build going forward