Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some questinos for people that have had this lift for a while

Hi Guys. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted the opinions of some people that have had this lift for a while. Here they are:

1) Has anyone that installed the drop pitman arm had issues with the steering box?
2) Has anyone installed a drag link flip with this? I was considering adding in a stock RHD drag link and taper to use with the included front trackbar bracket. Seems like it would work well but not sure.

I have 315/70r17 tires and my choices are either this kit or a 2.5" plus 1.25" BL kit, which might cost more because RC doesn't seem to have a complete 2.5" kit.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran drop pitman arm for a few years but found the nut would back off a little and steering would get "flighty". I went with Synergy drag link flip and steering is nice and solid now.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matador
I ran drop pitman arm for a few years but found the nut would back off a little and steering would get "flighty". I went with Synergy drag link flip and steering is nice and solid now.
Thanks Matador. I appreciate the response. Did you reuse the track bar bracket from the rough country kit or did you switch to synergy's?
Old 03-17-2020, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Bringing this back from the dead! Has anybody run this set up with 37’s?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus146
Bringing this back from the dead! Has anybody run this set up with 37’s?
You don't need to bring this thread back, do your research. Plenty of threads and comments on this forum regarding rough country lifts.

No, this is a garbage lift, and while you will physically clear 37's this doesn't address any of the issues caused from lifting in a proper manner.

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-17-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
You don't need to bring this thread back, do your research. Plenty of threads and comments on this forum regarding rough country lifts.

No, this is a garbage lift, and while you will physically clear 37's this doesn't address any of the issues caused from lifting in a proper manner.
So it clears the 37’s but is garbage. What’s garbage about it? Is the adjustability issues?
Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

So it clears the 37’s but is garbage. What’s garbage about it? Is the adjustability issues?
Track bar and pitman arm drop brackets are terrible mods. Do not lift the Jeep and raise the center of gravity, while simultaneously lowering your roll center. Rough country shocks and coils are not good quality. Control arm drop brackets work in increasing ride quality, but there's other drawbacks such ass lack of adjustability and loss in clearance. Brake line extensions via brackets at 3.5" of lift is not advisable when extended brake lines are so cheap, but honestly the rough country shocks will probably limit your travel so much you might not damage them.

Ride is so subjective, if this is your first lifted JK and it's not going on anything more than a fireroad or green trail, you probably won't care or notice. So you make your move.

You mention 37's, but are you set up to properly run 37's drivetrain wise?

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-17-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Track bar and pitman arm drop brackets are terrible mods. Do not lift the Jeep and raise the center of gravity, while simultaneously lowering your roll center. Rough country shocks and coils are not good quality. Control arm drop brackets work in increasing ride quality, but there's other drawbacks such ass lack of adjustability and loss in clearance. Brake line extensions via brackets at 3.5" of lift is not advisable when extended brake lines are so cheap, but honestly the rough country shocks will probably limit your travel so much you might not damage them.

Ride is so subjective, if this is your first lifted JK and it's not going on anything more than a fireroad or green trail, you probably won't care or notice. So you make your move.

You mention 37's, but are you set up to properly run 37's drivetrain wise?
Good to know. Honestly it won’t be wheeled all that much. In fact probably hardly at all unfortunately. So with driving it more on the street, I wouldn’t think adjustability would be a huge issue. And yes....this is my first lifted JK

As far as the 37’s....it’s something that I’ve been thinking of more so lately than getting 35’s.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Good to know. Honestly it won’t be wheeled all that much. In fact probably hardly at all unfortunately. So with driving it more on the street, I wouldn’t think adjustability would be a huge issue. And yes....this is my first lifted JK
Many of the components of a lift kit are centered around onroad performance, not offroad. They are a means of correcting issues that were introduced by adding lift height. (The specific method of Caster correction, the method of Steering correction, the choice of raised vs lowered brackets, etc.) It can all make a difference in how the jeep drives during the 99.xx% of the time you are on pavement, not the .01% you spend in the dirt. Beyond any quality issues with sagging coils or leaking shocks or whatever else RC seems to be known for, do some reading on the different components and figure out why certain items are less desirable than others. That will give you some background on why one 3.5" kit is $500, but another kit of the same height is double, or even 3 or 4 times, the price. Differences in quality, differences in specific component choices, etc.

On another note: while there are people who indicate no problems and they like the lift just fine, that specific lift seems to have had more negative comments on this forum, and more people coming here for help to fix their driveability issues, than any other lift on the market. But it does have that appealing price tag. At least if you do some research, you'll go into it with some idea of the possible issues you are likely to come across...

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-17-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Many of the components of a lift kit are centered around onroad performance, not offroad. They are a means of correcting issues that were introduced by adding lift height. (The specific method of Caster correction, the method of Steering correction, the choice of raised vs lowered brackets, etc.) It can all make a difference in how the jeep drives during the 99.xx% of the time you are on pavement, not the .01% you spend in the dirt. Beyond any quality issues with sagging coils or leaking shocks or whatever else RC seems to be known for, do some reading on the different components and figure out why certain items are less desirable than others. That will give you some background on why one 3.5" kit is $500, but another kit of the same height is double, or even 3 or 4 times, the price. Differences in quality, differences in specific component choices, etc.

On another note, that specific lift has had more negative comments on this forum, and more people coming here for help to fix their driveability issues, than any other lift on the market. But it does have that appealing price tag, so go for it. At least you'll go into it with some research on the possible issues you are likely to come across...
Good advise....thank you I appreciate it. I’m glad I chimed in on this thread 👍🏼

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.