Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on new setup for 37's

Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on new setup for 37's

Currently have a 2.5" budget boost with a 1.25" body lift on my 2dr and 35's.
Looking to go to 37's......
The plan is to go with a RK 3.5" X factor lift and keep the 1.25" body lift.
Will this set up work with 37" maxxis creepy crawler tires and stock fender flares?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The big thing will be how much bump stop you have.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Rock krawler is the last lift kit you'll want to put on your jeep unless you enjoy rebuilding arms more than wheeling. Look for a better kit with less downtime. This comes from experience, I've got a friend with the same kit you're talking about- he just pulled it off and went to the Metalcloak.

Wheel backspacing and bumpstop will determine if it works but it should work great. He did 37*13.5" Cooper's with his kit- factory chopped flares.

He didn't have the body lift so you'll be a little taller in that regard but it seems the RK doesn't maintain the height so you'll be ok.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well my cragar soft 8's have 4" of backspace.

Another option would be to simply install flat fenders or trim the stock fenders and run 37's as is.

In addition to the 2.5" budget boost and body lift.
I also have synergy hi clearance front arms that are 1/4" longer than stock, an extra 1/2" spacer up front to compensate for the winch and bumper, teraflex forged front track bar.

So maybe just some extra clearance in the fenders and call it a day?
Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

3.5 with trimmed or flat fenders will clear 37's easy. MC suggests 2-3" of bump stop with trimmed fenders. Wheels will need to be 3.5" backspacing to clear the arms. Mine are 4.5" with 1.5" spacers and do not rub.

I went with MC Gamechanger Rocksport because it was the most complete kit, meaning arms, TB, and shocks, with all the brackets required. I looked at RK, Terraflex, and some others also. Most of the other kits were not complete with arms and TB no shocks. After adding the extras in it was the same price or more than the Gamechanger.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you're going to go with 3.5" lift and 37s, I don't see driveshafts, tie rod, or rear axles shafts in your profile. Things to think about. Don't see drag link either but that would most likely be addressed in the lift. If you still have factory rear axle shafts, 37 seems to be the point at which flanges like to bend.

I personally think 3.5" lift with another 1.25" body lift looks a little wonky. I'd lose the body lift at that point. You're likely to net more than 3.5" out of a quality spring anyhow. I'm with Karl in regards to RK (control arms specifically).
Old 09-22-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the metalcloak 3.5 game changer lift with rock sport shocks is about the same price as the rock krawler 3.5" x factor lift with racho xl900 shocks thru Northridge.
The rockkrawler kit has a $250 gift card option currently.
They both seem to be complete kits, aside from the comment about rebuild the control arms on the rock krawler kit.....is either option good?
I know rockkrawler recommends regular greasing and spraying the joints with wd40 to keep them in top form.?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

That is like comparing a fine tenderloin filet to a hamburger. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that says the joints RK uses in their arms can compare to MC's bushings. The joints alone in the components speaks volumes about the overall quality. Just my 2c
Old 09-22-2017, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I assume either lift will flex alot more than my 2.5" budget boost with stock arms?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with resharp. The bushings are completely different. If you are very particular about regular maintenance the RK kit will be fine. I am kinda lazy and enjoy drinking beer while hitting mine with a pressure washer, no joint greasing for me.

He is also correct about the extras for 37's; driveshaft(front is a must), new axle shafts(I'm running stock front til they break, rears are Yukon not sure how strong they were in the axle when I bought it.) Tie rod isn't a necessity until it bends, RuffStuff specialtie has a good one(I won one at a raffle luckily and had it on hand when I bent my stock on a rock.)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new setup for 37's