Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on new setup for 37's

Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the best option is keep the 2.5" budget boost, 1.25' body lift and just add flat fenders and run the 37's that way?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

One last point in regards to MC bushings vs. RK joints.......

To be fair, a lot of people consider MC bushings to be "maintenance free". You will note that MC says they are "low maintenance". They suggest you remove those bushings and use fresh lube (Synthetic Silicon/Teflon
Lubricant) on them once a year. I suspect many people don't bother doing this as it means completely removing the arm from the jeep. I did this ~15 months after the original install and I'm glad I did. Now, most people wouldn't consider removing all 8 control arms and pulling 16 bushings out to regrease annual "low" or "no" maintenance (especially if you have skids on your CA brackets and the arms don't just fall straight down ), but their bushings are what sold me on MC arms...along with the way the arm itself was aligned very much like factory. My jeep is more of a Frankenlift, but I wasn't willing to compromise when it came to control arms. At the time Synergy was not using DDM bushings in their arms, and MC was really the only one.

Even so.....I'd much rather have MC arms and have to do this from time to time than deal with special unicorn ejaculate to grease RK joints with...not to mention their rebuild issues.

Food for thought.

Page 3 for reference -
http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...ol-Arms-JK.pdf
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by last5liter
Maybe the best option is keep the 2.5" budget boost, 1.25' body lift and just add flat fenders and run the 37's that way?
2500 is a good budget. Especially if you can get a discount as well. MC offers some, I used a military discount. You can run the set up now, may need to address gussets and gears if you haven't done so yet. Then save up $$$ for new shafts, drive shafts, and steering up grades(nice to have but not necessary)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by last5liter
If that is sufficient for your use, there is nothing wrong with it. You don't have to have several thousand dollars in your suspension to go have fun with it. I'm not trying to rain on the parade, I just think that a lot of people don't really consider all aspects of what it might take to do 3.5" lift properly, then add 37s on top of that. It's more often than not a larger undertaking than expected.

If you do stay on your current set up, just keep those rear shafts in mind. It's better to replace and still have the factory available as spares than it is to bend a factory flange and have to chunk it completely and still end up having to buy new ones.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
If that is sufficient for your use, there is nothing wrong with it. You don't have to have several thousand dollars in your suspension to go have fun with it. I'm not trying to rain on the parade, I just think that a lot of people don't really consider all aspects of what it might take to do 3.5" lift properly, then add 37s on top of that. It's more often than not a larger undertaking than expected.

If you do stay on your current set up, just keep those rear shafts in mind. It's better to replace and still have the factory available as spares than it is to bend a factory flange and have to chunk it completely and still end up having to buy new ones.
I just replaced the stock rear shafts with 10factory 35 spline units and an ARB airlocker

Last edited by last5liter; 09-22-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="resharp001;4304402"]One last point in regards to MC bushings vs. RK joints....... To be fair, a lot of people consider MC bushings to be "maintenance free". You will note that MC says they are "low maintenance". They suggest you remove those bushings and use fresh lube (Synthetic Silicon/Teflon Lubricant) on them once a year.

I was wondering about this. I called MC a few months ago and told them I have about 65k on my gamechanger arb lift and was wondering what kind of maintenance I should do. He said to just drive it and don't worry about it.
I thought I had read something about regressing the joints
Old 09-22-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by sea bass
I was wondering about this. I called MC a few months ago and told them I have about 65k on my gamechanger arb lift and was wondering what kind of maintenance I should do. He said to just drive it and don't worry about it.
I thought I had read something about regressing the joints
I would tell you that after almost a year and a half, and probably 15k miles, if they were greased from the factory.....there was no longer any sign of it. My bushings were as dry as could be. I was glad I did it, and if you wheel harder, I'd suggest doing it. If just daily driving or fire roads that don't really get you real articulation, might not be worth the effort. I'm surprised they'd tell you that directly. They don't send a little container of grease with the arms just for the fun of it.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

37's are going to be hard on your jeep and the creepy crawlers hoop up nice. Keep the thoughts of a full float rear in the back of your mind. It may not be necessary for you but don't be surprised if you start having issues with the semi float rear.

I agree with most here to go Metal Cloak over Rock Krawler. RK gets a lot of hype from a few people that really push them to justify their purchase of their products but in fact RK has ha a pretty poor track record over time compared to just about every other lift kit manufacturers out there.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would tell you that after almost a year and a half, and probably 15k miles, if they were greased from the factory.....there was no longer any sign of it. My bushings were as dry as could be. I was glad I did it, and if you wheel harder, I'd suggest doing it. If just daily driving or fire roads that don't really get you real articulation, might not be worth the effort. I'm surprised they'd tell you that directly. They don't send a little container of grease with the arms just for the fun of it.
Hmmm. Mine did not come with grease. I bought mine 3+ years ago - wonder if something changed
Old 09-23-2017, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by sea bass
Hmmm. Mine did not come with grease. I bought mine 3+ years ago - wonder if something changed
I bought mine, I think Nov. 2015. I just bought the 8 arms at that time, not a full kit that included arms. Came with a small container of grease. Not much in that container....but you use so little it's enough for years and years. Greasing them made a big difference to me....mainly in the arm rotating around the bushing. They even have a little video on servicing and/or replacing the bushings -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Skic_v8nQE

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new setup for 37's