Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Rod Reccomendations

Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Tie Rod Reccomendations

I need to replace my tie rod, and I just can't seem to find one that fits what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good one. Here are a couple I've been looking at, but none seem like a good fit:

Synergy: This one looks good, but is out of my price range.

Ruff Stuff: I like the price and how beefy this one is, but I don't like that I would have to drill out/ream my knuckles. Also worried about clearance issues because of the larger tie rod ends.

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-DS300043-Front-Outer-Tie/dp/B017J8381I/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017J8381I&pd_rd_r=S408PR9YFF84795ZKX24&pd_rd_w=kGUJT&pd_rd_wg=hZAMX&psc=1&refRID=S408PR9YFF84795ZKX24: Seems to be a good fit and a bit beefier than stock, but not much of an upgrade for the price.

Teraflex: Looks good, but again, this is out of my price range.

I know I'm being picky about it, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions that I'm missing. Do I need to just suck it up and drop the money on the Synergy?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I plopped a Steer Smarts Yeti in mine. Like many things, you'll probably get positive feedback from most reputable manufacturer's offerings on this one. For me it comes down to personal preference. I like the turnbuckle/clamp style adjustment that Steer Smarts uses. It's priced comparably to the Synergy, I just hate jam nuts and I can adjust in place with the SS.
The following users liked this post:
Jeep in the West (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Ruff stuff is good and you can't beat the price. You need 17" wheels for it as well as most after market tie rods. Drilling the knuckles is not a big deal. Where about in NV are you?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got the RuffStuff and didn't need to drill the knuckles so I wouldn't necessarily let that stop you from buying it. I will say that running it into rocks (or slipping off of your line in my case) can bend it to the point where you've got to adjust your toe again. Knowing what I know now about my style of wheeling, I'd probably sleeve it ahead of time or go with a rod that would bend back.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Ruff stuff is good and you can't beat the price. You need 17" wheels for it as well as most after market tie rods. Drilling the knuckles is not a big deal. Where about in NV are you?
Thanks for the feedback. I have 17" wheels. I may end up going with RuffStuff. I'm in Reno.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've got the RuffStuff and didn't need to drill the knuckles so I wouldn't necessarily let that stop you from buying it. I will say that running it into rocks (or slipping off of your line in my case) can bend it to the point where you've got to adjust your toe again. Knowing what I know now about my style of wheeling, I'd probably sleeve it ahead of time or go with a rod that would bend back.
What do you use to sleeve it?

Also, do you run a steering stabilizer? If so, do you have any recommendations on the stabilizer bracket for the RuffStuff? I know they offer a flat one and a 90-degree-angled one.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you need any help with the ruff stuff, I have a welder and full shop at my place near Timberline and Mt Rose highway.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'd just use a larger diameter tube to slide over it to sleeve it. I should have but have since bent mine so it would take a nice torch to straighten it to the point where I could sleeve it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Barnes4x4 also has a tie rod kit that is like Ruff Stuff although Ruff Stuff is pretty local for us Nevadans.
Offset One Ton Tie Rod Kit
Old 03-22-2018, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spohn Mountain Goat Series. Fits with 16's.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the info!

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you need any help with the ruff stuff, I have a welder and full shop at my place near Timberline and Mt Rose highway.
Thanks! I PM’d you.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Reccomendations