Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod upgrade suggestions

Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m a little hesitant to have a fab shop do the rod, especially around the Southern Oregon area. And after hearing poor feedback on the synergy and new rubicon express, I am leaning toward the Yeti.

their new one is also “non-flip” and i have yet to find any negative feedback.

Aluminum vs steel,,,......
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNasty69
I looked at Synergy but I found a lot of complaints that the rubber boots rip and lose the grease and then the joint wears out to fast.
To be fair, many are guilty of completely overfilling these joints and using the boot as a reservoir which is not the intention. The springs Synergy uses are not ideal. Not certain if they still use those or not......at one point in the past I ordered replacement ends and the boots were much better and held on with a different metal tension ring.

Originally Posted by poesdad
I’m a little hesitant to have a fab shop do the rod, especially around the Southern Oregon area. And after hearing poor feedback on the synergy and new rubicon express, I am leaning toward the Yeti.
Not certain what the hesitation is with a "fab shop" all these TRs are gonna be steel or aluminum with ends screwed in held in place with a jam nut or pinch bolt. There's nothing fancy about em. They will rust/corrode the same way. Even if you buy one put together it probably would be a good idea to remove the ends and put a little anti-seize on the threads and screw em back in.....at least that is what I would do if I lived up north.

I'd get aluminum if it were me.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by poesdad
I’m also only seeing a 1 3/8” version from synergy.
And the rubicon express is 1 5/8”

does the size necessarily matter (��) when upgrading the tie rod?
Yes it absolutely does, but perhaps not in the way you think. I ran the Currie, which is 1-5/8", and has super-sized ends. There were two issues: First, the super-sized ends were so large that with my 16" wheels, they'd scrape off the wheel balance weights on the passenger front wheel. I had to keep an eye on the tech to ensure he placed them so they would not be scraped off. Secondly, the extra weight of that rod was abusive to those ends, despite their extra beef. They didn't last any time at all. Replaced with Synergy many, many miles ago and have been super happy with that. Ditto, BTW, for the drag link (went Currie to Synergy also). I think the Currie is fine if you trailer your rig and use it for rock crawling, which doesn't suffer the high impact damage from washboard roads that overlanding does. Otherwise, avoid those heavy tie rods/drag links.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is getting interesting. Great info from you guys. Thank you
Old 06-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I have both synergy. They have different metal clamps but I still rock one of the old springs on my drag link. Never had an issue. Don't over grease them.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Don't over grease them.
I've found that's easier said than done. I take my rig in for oil changes where they also grease my joints. Hard to get an oil tech to know when to stop when the other 1000s of cars they work on don't use slinky springs and grease boots that pop off. No more Synergy parts for me thanks.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Most vehicles that have been built in the last 15 years don't have a single grease point on them. Should not be a big deal telling the tech not to grease anything.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Most vehicles that have been built in the last 15 years don't have a single grease point on them. Should not be a big deal telling the tech not to grease anything.
They grease my tie rod ends, ball joints, and drag link joints. If it's included with the oil change, it's one less thing I need to do myself is what I figure. The synergy drag link joints are the only ones that cause problems where I need to check on it regularly. I'm running the Ruff Stuff tie rod with their 1ton ends currently. I keep telling myself I need to get a set of Synergies replacement boot covers and replace the originals but just haven't gotten around to doing it. That's the thing I'm finding with Synergy. It's not that they don't make good stuff but it seems their initial designs always have some weak point of failure in the design, where they make improvements to the design afterwards. I'm no longer interested in being a beta tester where I need to go out and repurchase and replace parts since they couldn't get it right the 1st time. Their parts aren't that cheap to come with those types of expectations. If their name was Rough Country and the parts cost half as much, then I wouldn't be as disappointed.

Synergy ball joints are sh*t. Their original track bar joints would rust and seize if you lived in a rust belt state and didn't grease them regularly, but now they have improved designed joints for those as well. This all just tells me that Synergy is great at bending and designing pipes for suspension parts, but it seems they have no clue to what they're doing in the designs of the joints which go on those terrifically bent pipes.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-13-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so...

stay away from synergy, go with aluminum ?

I am not finding an aluminum version made by Steer Smart.

would it be best to just go with Ruff Stuff or look in to having a shop fab one?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Barnes 4WD makes a pretty good 7075 Steering kit

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-JK-On...ing_c_192.html

Quick Reply: Tie rod upgrade suggestions