Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod upgrade suggestions

Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by poesdad
Ok, so...

stay away from synergy, go with aluminum ?

I am not finding an aluminum version made by Steer Smart.

would it be best to just go with Ruff Stuff or look in to having a shop fab one?
Synergy is fine on the most part. The problem being described with their steering parts is that they used some flexible rubber dust joint cover, held on by some slinky looking hair tie. You fill the joint up with too much grease, the rubber expands, the slinky spring pops off, the rubber dust cover boot pops off in return and damn grease oozes all over the place and allows the grease to flow out of the joint. They have since designed replacement dust boot covers to fix that original piss poor design. Do their new tie rods, and drag links come with that updated design part? I have no idea, you would need to call them to find out. Aside from that, the drag link and tie rod are pretty well made. I wish I had known about their poor boot cover design ahead of purchasing mine. I would have looked elsewhere or made sure to get the updated designed boots.

The aluminum fab tie rod is a good option to look into. It's inexpensive, it won't rust, and if it ever gets banged on anything, it will bend back into shape since it is aluminum. The Ruff Stuff tie rod is what I have. It's beefy, inexpensive and made of steal. The only down sides are that it comes bare steal (ie non painted) and will rust on the outside if you don't paint it and if you ever bang it on rocks, it will bend but if you're not doing rock crawling that is less of a concern. It will definitely firm up the steering. If I had the money, I would go with the Steer Smarts Yeti drag link and tie rod setup , I don't believe they made aluminum but I haven't checked. For best value options I would go with the Ruff Stuff or the Aluminum tie rod fab option and lean more towards the aluminum tie rod fab since you eliminate the bending and rusting concerns.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-13-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell if this is the stock tie rod?
It does appear to be 1.5”

I also noticed there is one zerk fitting on the drag link.

Last edited by poesdad; 06-14-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Tie rod upgrade suggestions