Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to get back into a Jeep! (AEV owners please chime in)

Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get back into a Jeep! (AEV owners please chime in)

OK I had an 08 Wrangler Rubicon UL with an OME 2.5 in HD lift, BFG AT 33's on AEV's new front and rear bumpers which I bought new
and had built up after a year of ownership. I LOVED it but had Death Wobble since the first week I owned it (stock) and never got better.
Finally I decided as I had a kid it was time to let it go and I replaced it with a LX470 (with real wheels and tires!) and it's great BUT it doesn't have blue tooth and lots of
stupid little creature comforts I am starting to crave again so I am ready to say goodbye to it and get back to the Jeep world!

I am REALLY leaning towards looking for a pre owned AEV with the 2.5 in lift.
I am only 5'6, I have a 5 year old and my wife used to complain my old jeep was too tall (the OME 2.5 HD lift sat a LOT taller than 2.5 in)

There are some nice pre owned ones out there and I am right around the corner from AEV in Michigan.
I was really thinking 33's and 2.5 in would be ideal but it seems all the 2.5 in lifts have 35's. Do the 33's look too small?

My other debate is I have seen a couple V8 AEV's pre owned which are at the top of my budget but I am tempted!
I know they eat gas but I am used to that with the Lexus so that's not an issue LOL.
Other issue is they all seem to be a 3.5 in lift on 37's. I know I can buy 35's or even 33's but will they look small?
Is it likely to be too tall for a daily driver for someone my size?
Is the V8 worth it if you don't really off road a lot?
I LOVE the sound of the engine and it seems to pull away a lot quicker off the line and on the freeway.

I am going to run by AEV later next week when I have the time and see whats there I can hop in for size but just starting to do some research.

And yes I know there are TONS of other great options for mods, some may even be better than AEV but I like how AEV is turnkey and right in my area so I am sold on AEV.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I enjoyed 2.5" with 33's, it would go about anywhere I needed to go. I cut the flares in the pics below so the tires wouldn't eat them up off-road, that's why the gap looks a little large.

​​​​​​​No AEV experience here outside of their wheels and geo correction brackets.

Last edited by karls10jk; 02-09-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I was really thinking 33's and 2.5 in would be ideal but it seems all the 2.5 in lifts have 35's. Do the 33's look too small?
Other issue is they all seem to be a 3.5 in lift on 37's. I know I can buy 35's or even 33's but will they look small?
You should really be asking yourself, not the opinions of others. There are some massive picture threads down in JK Show & Tell. 33's, 35's, 37, by lift height, by body color, stock flares/flats, etc, etc. It's your opinion that matters, after all.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...your-33s-9979/

Completely subjective. One of the taller jeeps I have seen was driven to a lady that was barely 5 feet tall. She used a box with a rope tied to it to get in, and wouldn't dream of downsizing. This is another thing for you to decide. Maybe as part of the thinking process, look at rails that incorporate lowered steps also?

Is the V8 worth it if you don't really off road a lot?
Personally, I would think that the extra power is all about onroad performance, specifically my time spent on the freeway. For my offroad use, I would consider a rubi t-case long before I would consider the cost of a v-8 swap for more power.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by JYogi
OK I had an 08 Wrangler Rubicon UL with an OME 2.5 in HD lift, BFG AT 33's on AEV's new front and rear bumpers which I bought new and had built up after a year of ownership. I LOVED it but had Death Wobble since the first week I owned it (stock) and never got better.
Why didn't you ever address the wobble on the old jeep? Any wobble at all is worth stopping down to fix. DW should always be a completely stop down until the culprit is identified and remedied.

Most go with 35s on JK, but if 33s are what you fancy, by all means. I think mainly 35s just became the new 33s with the transition from TJ to JK....probably just cuz all the JK guys wanted to be bigger, which meant "better than your wimpy TJ" in minds at the time.

3.5" isn't too tall for a DD, but 33s wouldn't look right. 35s are ok, but 3.5" looks best with 37s IMO.

I like how AEV is turnkey and right in my area so I am sold on AEV.
No such thing as turnkey when it comes to modded jeep. You can't call an AEV 2.5" "turnkey" cuz they don't address caster with that 2.5" kit. It's no more turnkey than any other complete lift out there, the operative word being complete. Just sayin....
Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
No such thing as turnkey when it comes to modded jeep. You can't call an AEV 2.5" "turnkey" cuz they don't address caster with that 2.5" kit. It's no more turnkey than any other complete lift out there, the operative word being complete. Just sayin....
I think he's talking about the turnkey complete setup packages that AEV sells which get distributed through the dealerships. They include an AEV lift, geo brackets, bumpers, and their top shelf turnkey offerings have a HEMI conversion in it. It's very expensive, but if you're coming from an LX 470 and ditching it because of not having bluetooth, then it makes sense, where the AEV packages are in that price ball park starting around $15K then going onward and upward to $75K+ for an AEV turnkey Hemi conversion setup.

Jyoji if you're looking for a turnkey system, in those price ranges. From what you described, you may want to consider purchasing a new JLU Wrangler. The JL will fit 35s without a lift. What I would recommend since you're in Michigan is to pay a visit to Jim Riehl's Chrysler Jeep on 14mile/Van Dyke in Sterling Heights. They have a customs shop and often sell new Wranglers off their lot pre-modded as a turnkey system, as well as offer the AEV turnkey packages. They often use the Mopar 2in lift with their custom mods which I feel are just as good if not better than the AEV lifts. Get a JLU Rubicon, and have Jim Riehl's custom shop mount up whatever your heart desires with some 35s or 37s for you with the new JL Mopar 2in lift and you'll be better off. The JL will have much more of the creature comforts than the JK such as having radios which include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which the JK doesn't as well as having a much more refined interior. They'll also have the AEV package options they can go over with you. How the AEV packages work, is that some dealerships offer them such as Jim Riehls. You buy the Jeep you like, pick out the AEV package you're interested in, they send the Jeep over to AEV and AEV does the turnkey install for you.

Which AEV location are you planning on visiting? I've been to the one in Walled Lake. The Walled Lake location has 2 buildings next to each other. One building is a large warehouse from where they distribute their parts, the building next to it is where they do all the AEV turnkey package installs.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-22-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my Jeep (Rubicon) with AEV 2.5 lift and much more. I see it for sale here now.

https://www.maximumautooutlet.com/us...0111/vd/191986

Quick Reply: Time to get back into a Jeep! (AEV owners please chime in)