Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire carrier HD

Old 06-05-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire carrier HD

I bought the jeep new from the stealership. My tailgate cracked due to the rims and tires I picked out. They wanted no part in replacing the tailgate. Kept telling me it was my fault for "using the jeep how it is supposed to be used." I do use it for off roading, Uwharrie and trails around my house. It drove me nuts cause the jeep is still under warranty and they did the work and installation AND I picked it all out through their service/parts department. After about a month of going back and forth they reluctantly are replacing it.

Need advice on a tire carrier. Looking at the expensive Teraflex HD carrier. Anyone have issues with it, installation, afterwards?

I know there are cheaper options. I haven't looked into them yet. Not opposed to them. Just haven't researched them yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

If you are looking at body mounted tire carriers that use the stock hinges and swing with the body, I would get the Crawler Conceptz tire carrier. It's beefy and can be had for under $600. If your budget is higher, I would go for the Genright or the EVO swing outs. In the past, the Teraflex carrier (not sure which model you were referring to) has had weld failures and cracked metal due to poor manufacturing and materials. A TF piece will never be in my rig.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

To be fair, if you put a larger wheel/tire on the stock spare tire carrier most realize this is likely to cause problems. However, Good for you that you were able to convince them to cover it under warranty.

I recently was looking at a JKU Rubicon at the dealer I purchased my JK from. They had a custom Rubi and it listed a "Mopar HD Spare Tire Carrier". I haven't been able to find a P/N or price for it yet. Maybe you might want to check with the dealership for that since you've been going through the dealership for everything else.

I took some pics of the one I saw.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-05-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Mopar uses Teraflex.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tactik

I went with the Tactik from Quadratec
Click image for larger version

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	648871
Click image for larger version

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	648872
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smitty

I have the Smitty one it was $499 shipped and It works with my RotoPax Mount. Thats why I went with it. It also can take a larger tire than TeraFlex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	After4Washes.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	648965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	648966  
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I have the Smitty one it was $499 shipped and It works with my RotoPax Mount. Thats why I went with it. It also can take a larger tire than TeraFlex.
Does your tire get supported by the one bumper on the left enough to keep it snug with no rattling? I've been looking at this, and the MORryde setup. That one keeps both bumpers, and supports the tailgate maybe even a bit better. I'm concerned about the powder coat and rust with that kit though.

I've also looked the Tactic and and another like it, but I'll never buy one with a giant slab of extra metal with no purpose other than to advertise some stupid trademark.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neZZr
Does your tire get supported by the one bumper on the left enough to keep it snug with no rattling? I've been looking at this, and the MORryde setup. That one keeps both bumpers, and supports the tailgate maybe even a bit better. I'm concerned about the powder coat and rust with that kit though.

I've also looked the Tactic and and another like it, but I'll never buy one with a giant slab of extra metal with no purpose other than to advertise some stupid trademark.
I have the Rugged Ridge version and it's a nice piece. My main complaint is the lack of accessories that it can be used with. I would like an integrated antenna mount (I'm using the driver side evo mount), HiLift or other accessories. I would also like to mount something like the Garvin trail rack, but that isn't possible. No fault of anyone. The left tire bumper stays in place with the RR version although, I don't think my tire rests against it. Regardless, it's pretty stout.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money you work so hard for. Totally pitch the spare tire carrier and the idea of even having one over the fence, pull the back seat out, throw the spare in the back (only if off-roading or going on a long road trip) and get an inexpensive vent cover. Easy and cheap way to gain more power by losing weight. Think about it. Lugging all that useless weight around all day every day, worrying what monster expensive tire and carrier to buy. Fooke me, I kept my OEM spare in the garage for those potential rare occasions. Driving jeeps for 25 years n never had a flat.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BFGMallTerrains
Save your money you work so hard for. Totally pitch the spare tire carrier and the idea of even having one over the fence, pull the back seat out, throw the spare in the back (only if off-roading or going on a long road trip) and get an inexpensive vent cover. Easy and cheap way to gain more power by losing weight. Think about it. Lugging all that useless weight around all day every day, worrying what monster expensive tire and carrier to buy. Fooke me, I kept my OEM spare in the garage for those potential rare occasions. Driving jeeps for 25 years n never had a flat.
That works too... IF you don't need the room in the back of the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Tire carrier HD