Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Carrier Opinions

Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Carrier Opinions

I just purchased a used JKU which came with the Smittybilt XRC Gen2 rear bumper, but no tire carrier of any kind. The factory carrier was replaced with a license plate bracket.

I'm looking at the XRC swing mount, which is made to go with my bumper, or the Smittybilt SRC oversized tire carrier, which mounts to the tailgate. The price is $500 for the swing mount or $150 for the tailgate mount.

My main concern is will the tailgate mount work without damaging the hinges/tailgate? I will be carrying an Open Country MT 33x12.50x18, which weights appx. 75#, plus the wheel, etc. Cost is a concern because of other upgrades I'm wanting to do, in addition to have to buy another wheel and a $300+ tire, but if the swing mount is the only reliable solution I'll put the other mods on hold. I hate not having a spare!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I went with a bumper carrier that swings with the tailgate, but at the shop that did mine LOTS of JK's with 40" tires using the Teraflex tailgate hinge mount. Mine seems to be fine, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably have gone with the Teraflex.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Smittybilt Gen2 rear bumper with the Gen2 tire carrier. The Smittybilt tire carrier hinge is just a greased pin with no bearings so you have to keep it greased for an easy opening door. There are a few options that will apparently work with the Gen2 such as the AEV and Mopar swing mounts.

One thing to take note with the Gen 2 bumpers is that (at least with an early model like mine) they sit very close to the body in the middle and will likely hit on your first bumper-drag off road and either scratch or dent the body.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Teraflex spare tire carrier. It is solid as a rock, and adjustable in case you decide to upsize your tires.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Body mounted, gate actuated is the way to go. Smittybilt is not one of those companies that I'd plan to use as a long-tern solution.

Teraflex has their piece but also look into the MorRyde product. Compare the offerings and see what's the better option for you.

As far as a spare goes- craigslist. If it's indeed just a spare then there's no reason to put out a boatload of cash. I ran like that for many years without issue. The spare was always enough to get me home. I now run and rotate all 5 tires but only because I got a good deal on tires.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking at spending $500+ look at Evo mfg's hinged carrier.

Originally Posted by bbolander
but at the shop that did mine LOTS of JK's with 40" tires using the Teraflex tailgate hinge mount.
Good luck with that.....
Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was really hoping to NOT spend $500 on a tire carrier. I like the modular design of the MorRyde and I think I'll check more into that. For now, one of the local custom shops gave me the factory take-off from his personal JKU until I make a decision. That should be fine with the 33" tire I have now, especially since it will be only light offroad use.

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Opinions