Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Carrier - save $ w/ TF or Full bumper

Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tire Carrier - save $ w/ TF or Full bumper

I just purchased new wheels and will be getting new tires as well. I don't like the idea of having the new wheel and bigger tire on the stock tire carrier. So I was looking at two options.

Since I will be spending a chunk of money on wheels and tires, I could go the cheaper (money not product) route and go with the Teraflex hinge and spare tire adjuster.

OR

I can just go ahead and get the whole shooting match by purchasing a JCR full width rear bumper with shield tire carrier.

Difference would be spending roughly about $640 versus $1,300.

What do ya think? I think I may be leaning towards the TF route since I can either add whatever bumper I want later or I should be able to easily sell it later if I want to go the full bumper/carrier route.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the teraflex tire carrier and it's strong and works great. you will not have a problem getting it sold at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140411_110846.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	544885
Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	544888Two for TF.

Last edited by RAMbone; 04-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of considerations, but I would go with the Teraflex hinge mounted carrier.

Yes you don't get a metal bumper right now and it will cost to add one later if you want. However your jeep will be lighter, will squeak less and you can open the tailgate without having to first move the tire carrier out of the way.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I've had the Teraflex on mine for a little over a year. Very sturdy. Easy install.

My only issue with it is the shitty powder coating job on the cast iron hinges that mount to your tub. After 1 winter, surface rust is developing from road salt. I wash my Jeep every chance I can, when the temperature is above freezing.

I saw others in northern states had the same issue, so I painted the hinges with black rustoluem before I installed mine. Apparently, that wasn't enough.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

I just ordered the ft hinges with out the carrier. If u use the stock carrier will the tire still rub on a stock bumper

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier - save $ w/ TF or Full bumper