Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Carriers

Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Carriers

Does anyone make a rear tire carrier that lowers the tire down to the ground via a spool and cable? Years back I saw one for a JK but don't know if it ever hit production. At 66 lifting 37s is impossible with my back.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I haven't seen anything like this, and surprised nobody has done so.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, I'd buy one in a second.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Here is an old article for a bumper from HD Customs in Colorado. They are no longer in business though.

HD Customs SwitchBlade and Dagger Bumpers Install amp Review: Off-Road.com

It's been a long while, but from what I recall, someone else supposedly copied the bumper. So maybe a similar product is available somewhere? It was called the HD Switchblade, there may still be some youtube vids showing it in action, it was pretty slick.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-10-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Here is an old article for a bumper from HD Customs in Colorado. They are no longer in business though.

HD Customs SwitchBlade and Dagger Bumpers Install amp Review: Off-Road.com

It's been a long while, but from what I recall, someone else supposedly copied the bumper. So maybe a similar product is available somewhere? It was called the HD Switchblade, there may still be some youtube vids showing it in action, it was pretty slick.
Dang that is pretty cool. I'd never seen that before. It's indeed surprising there's not more out there along the lines of this. I'm going to guess that the real issue is market size. Most people running a 33 or 35 wouldn't pony up the cost for the design, and people running 37s and mounting them on the back of the jeep isn't a big enough market to support the product. Pretty cool idea though.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Dang, the front bumper is cool too...

OP, have you considered contacting a fabricator or "big" offroad shop? They could design and build you something similar.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This was kind of the oint with those spare tire racks that guys used to put on theur TJ/LJ builds with 38"+ meats. They're a giant PITA if you have to load stuff in the bed area though. I'd get what you're describing as well. In fact, I wonder why I carry a spare in the first place, as I can't lift it back up onto the carrrier by myself. Since I have OBA and carry a couple plug kits I've thought of ditching the spare and rear bu,per to save about 250 lbs at least.

Quick Reply: Tire Carriers