Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Traction

Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Traction

Does anybody have any experiance with any of these tires in snow? i posted this on another forum and didnt get much responce.

Mickey Thompson-Baja MTZ

Pro Comp Mud Terrain

Dick CEPEK Mud Country

Thanx

Last edited by nickc; 01-02-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

honestly the best tire i have used in the snow is the goodyear MTR or the bfgoodrich MT plus they last longer. i had the mickey thompsons and there were only good for about 30000 when my MTR lasted me over 50000 on my past vehicles
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

the key for snow and ice is good siping and micro-siping, mud te3rrains have little to none of it, so they are all technically piss poor in the snow and ice. That being said, i run goodyear mtr's year round. I would never call them good on snow and ice, but if you know how to work em, they are passable.

If money isnt much of an object and you want to be safe, get a set of winter only tires, and a set of mud tires. Your mud tires will last a lot longer, and you will of course have proper grip during the winter.

If there are only 2 weeks of winter where you live, thats a bit of an expensive proposition Im up in calgary, alberta, and overall we dont have much of a winter, but when i lived up north... winter tires sure were nice no matter what the vehicle they were on. Studded tires were even more appreciated
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live real close to lake erie (close to some ski country), near buffalo New York. While we have had VERY LITTLE snow so far, that is not normal. But no, im not going to buy two sets of truck tires.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

yeah 2 sets isnt for everyone, of course in the end its no more expensive than having 1 set, as they each last 2x longer :P

one other thing, siping is more benificial with ice and soft packed/ hard packed snow. On the softer fluffier stuff, big lugs work all right too, as it mimics sand/mud. Of course most times, right under that soft stuff is ice/hard pack.. ymmv.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the Baja MTZ tires through our two big winter storms over the past few weeks here in Colorado, and they work really well in the soft, unpacked stuff. They are pretty poor on hard-pack or ice, but they get around. I drive really cautiously with them on slippery stuff. In loose or wet snow, they work just like they were in mud, and they are really happy. I plowed through almost 2 foot deep snow with them, no problem at all.

-E
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

or how about the Super Swamper Thornbirds?

or pro comps XTerrains

Both would probly need more sipping i would guess

Last edited by nickc; 01-02-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
JK Newbie

I had thornbirds, they were cool tires but not great on the snowy road.

the also did not wear very well
Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

yup same thing for those tyres. need more siping. not sure how much time you spend off road vs on road, but perhaps some interco trxus might be the answer. relativly rugged, with lots of siping.. other option, get the tyres you want and get them custom siped.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nickc
I live real close to lake erie (close to some ski country), near buffalo New York. While we have had VERY LITTLE snow so far, that is not normal. But no, im not going to buy two sets of truck tires.
Yeah no kidding. Weirdest winter i can recall for a long time. Usually by now my dad's place in the southerntier is up to my armpits in snow. :confused:

kinda sux in a way. New JK and very little snow to play in...

up side is, it is January & i am still riding the motorcycle to work!

Quick Reply: Tire Traction