Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Traction

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procomp

I am waiting for my JK to come in, but I have ProComp M/T on my truck.

I am not sure what siping is, normally when I am sipping it's tequilla and it pisses the wife off.

I live in New Mexico and we just had 16" of snow and I was very happy with the way the ProComp M/T handled the deep snow. We normally don't get much snow here so they are not set up to plow.

The last two years ProComp has had buy three get the fourth one free in March if you can wait that long.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

speaking of cold weather...last few days here have been in the 60's. too cold!

course i live in FL...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMac
I am not sure what siping is, normally when I am sipping it's tequilla and it pisses the wife off.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping:

"Siping is a process of cutting thin slits across a rubber surface to improve traction in wet or icy conditions."

If you ever look at a set of winter tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...=Blizzak+LM-25

You'll see exactly what they are. Lots of little lines cut in the tire tread blocks.

-E
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

I had Procomp Xterrains on my F250 one winter, didn't really care for their performance on hard snow/ice.

Thornbirds are not very well thought of by the offroad community.

We sell a lot of Trxxus MT's around here (Northern MI) and people seem to really like them.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn, thoes thornbirds look pretty bitchin though. I saw a F-150 today with thoes TrXus MTs on it @ NAPA (buying another damn headlight for my 89 fullsized jimmy (for sale by the way)) and i knew i should have asked him about thoes!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

I had Truxus MT's on my TJ and they were excellent in all conditions except rain! They hydroplaned terrible. Terrific in snow, the deeper it was the better they gripped.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have any experience with any Dick CEPEKs? as far as treadwear goes.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh yeah, and can somone explain why it might be a bad idea to run beadlocks? besides the laws of course.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Boy, Curmudgeon, you lived up to your name. A while back you were complaining about how you had to ride your motorcycle to work because you hadn't received your jeep yet, and now that you have it - you're still riding the motorcycle.
I'm just giving you crap, though, I don't have my jeep yet. I certainly don't have a motorcycle, either. I'm glad that you finally got your JK, you waited a long time for that thing!
Just thought I'd reply to say that there's been a few magazine articles rating these tires for their snow/mud/rock/pavement capabilities over the years. I believe I have a few of those mags stacked away somewhere, which I'll try to dig out if it would interest the community. Can't promise that I still have them, though.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wladziu
Boy, Curmudgeon, you lived up to your name. A while back you were complaining about how you had to ride your motorcycle to work because you hadn't received your jeep yet, and now that you have it - you're still riding the motorcycle.
I'm just giving you crap, though, I don't have my jeep yet. I certainly don't have a motorcycle, either. I'm glad that you finally got your JK, you waited a long time for that thing!
Just thought I'd reply to say that there's been a few magazine articles rating these tires for their snow/mud/rock/pavement capabilities over the years. I believe I have a few of those mags stacked away somewhere, which I'll try to dig out if it would interest the community. Can't promise that I still have them, though.
*LOL* Well, that is cuz i was riding the bike in 30-40degree wet rainy weather. Dirt bike or no, that just plain gets cold! (Besides, i work in an office, so wet muddy clothes tend to be frowned upon) I drive the Jeep in rainy/snowy/sloppy weather or when i am in a hurry to go somewhere after work (that darn bike just makes sudden turns on to every little trail it passes - go figure)
The Jeep has yet to fully catch that little virus. (most likely 'cuz the stock tires suck offroad) sunnier warmer days are for the bike.

Quick Reply: Tire Traction