Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the “Sahara” and “Trail Rated” emblems off, how do I clean?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took the “Sahara” and “Trail Rated” emblems off, how do I clean?

The glue from the stickers is on the black paint. What is safe to use to remove it?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and what’s the best double sided tape to put the trail rated back on?
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by poesdad
The glue from the stickers is on the black paint. What is safe to use to remove it?
3M makes a adhesive disc remover that is round and rubbery that you put in a drill and spin off the adhesive without damaging the paint. 3M also sells double sided tape in different sized rolls that works great. I owned a body shop for many years and always used these 2 products for my emblem removal/attaching jobs. Cut pieces of the roll to overlap the emblem, leaving the protective tape attached. Then lay the emblem down on a piece of poster board/cardboard and trim excess with a razor blade or Exacto knife. Remove the protective tape and stick on to the vehicle. Measure using masking tape to give you a alignment guide, then after sticking the emblem back on, remove the masking tape. Viola!.
The following users liked this post:
iloozealot (05-02-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I used Goof off to remove any glue from the paint and then waxed the area before reapplying.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mark@markpicard.com
3M makes a adhesive disc remover that is round and rubbery that you put in a drill and spin off the adhesive without damaging the paint. 3M also sells double sided tape in different sized rolls that works great. I owned a body shop for many years and always used these 2 products for my emblem removal/attaching jobs. Cut pieces of the roll to overlap the emblem, leaving the protective tape attached. Then lay the emblem down on a piece of poster board/cardboard and trim excess with a razor blade or Exacto knife. Remove the protective tape and stick on to the vehicle. Measure using masking tape to give you a alignment guide, then after sticking the emblem back on, remove the masking tape. Viola!.
perfect!! Thank you.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I used Goof off to remove any glue from the paint and then waxed the area before reapplying.
if it didn’t hurt the paint, maybe I will try this
Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I've used Goo-Gone, followed by rubbing alcohol. Obviously once you're set.....nice wash, wax/paint sealer to protect in future.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've used Goo-Gone, followed by rubbing alcohol. Obviously once you're set.....nice wash, wax/paint sealer to protect in future.
Actually, this is exactly what I did. Goo-Gone, Goof off....I tend to get their names mixed up, I think they're the same product.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i second,third the goo gone. i removed all emblems. only downside so far was when someone asked me "is that a hummer" LOL
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Like others have said, goo-gone works wonders. Just peel the stickers off and wipe down with goo-gone and then rinse.

Quick Reply: Took the “Sahara” and “Trail Rated” emblems off, how do I clean?