Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the JK on a 3 hour road trip felt like the Jeep was all over the road..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Din
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the JK on a 3 hour road trip felt like the Jeep was all over the road..

I have 4in lift with 18inwheels and 35 tires.. Everytime I would hit uneven pavment the whole Jeep would want to move in that direction. I would always have to make adjustments to the steering wheel to keep it moving straight. Anything I could do to stiffen up the steering wheel or the front end?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Din
I have 4in lift with 18inwheels and 35 tires.. Everytime I would hit uneven pavment the whole Jeep would want to move in that direction. I would always have to make adjustments to the steering wheel to keep it moving straight. Anything I could do to stiffen up the steering wheel or the front end?
Lots of threads on this. Tons of info. Rather than repeat, suggest that you search on "Bump Steer" and on "Adjustable Lower Control Arms" or "Adjusting Caster". Also, make certain that your tire pressures aren't too high--30 psi or even a bit lower for larger tires (I have 33s).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-08-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some questions:
1) What lift do you have?
2) Stock trackbar (with bracket hopefully) or adjustable?
3) Drop pitman arm?
4) Are the front trackbar and draglink close to parallel?
5) What tire pressure?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Din
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Lots of threads on this. Tons of info. Rather than repeat, suggest that you search on "Bump Steer" and on "Adjustable Lower Control Arms" or "Adjusting Camber". Also, make certain that your tire pressures aren't too high--30 psi or even a bit lower for larger tires (I have 33s).
thanks ill search and will read over some of those items.

Originally Posted by Alec
Some questions:
1) What lift do you have?
2) Stock trackbar (with bracket hopefully) or adjustable?
3) Drop pitman arm?
4) Are the front trackbar and draglink close to parallel?
5) What tire pressure?
1. Procomp lift
2. for the front I only have the stock trackbar.
3. Not sure what pitman arm is but me and a friend installed the lift kit it was used. Came with front springs, rear springs, shocks and rear trackball bracket.
4.I gotta look at this again
5. running 40psi all the way around.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

1) your tire pressure is too high
2) you probably need either an adjustable front trackbar or a relocation bracket to restore the proper geometry and axle location.
3) and you probably need a drop pitman arm for the same reason.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Din
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Any brand recommendation for front adjustable trackball and drop pitman arm? Would I need to so an alignment again after these parts ?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

You'll need to check the toe and center the steering wheel. You could do those yourself if you wanted to.

I do recommend having a shop do the pitman arm at least as they're a royal pain and torqued very tight. Give Jeff or Joe at 4 Wheel Parts on the South Loop a call, tell them I sent you and they'll hook you up. Ask for Jeff or Joe.

Quick Reply: Took the JK on a 3 hour road trip felt like the Jeep was all over the road..