Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo 35"s or KM2 37"s? Want a lil more clearance but still need to fit in the garage

Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo 35"s or KM2 37"s? Want a lil more clearance but still need to fit in the garage

JKUR. 3" Teraflex suspension lift. Currently running 35" Goodyear MT/R Kevlar Wranglers, which are worn enough it's almost time to replace them. Wheels: 17" diameter, 12.5" width. With my Gobi rack installed, my current setup allows me to enter the garage with no more than 0.5" clearance at 35 psi. (That is when the tires were new, I haven't re-measured as they've gotten worn.)

This is the main reason I've never upgraded to 37s: I refuse to park on the street and I can't get in the garage with both 37s and a Gobi rack installed. I do a lot of camping so the rack isn't going anywhere.

But I keep getting reminded that KM2s run on the small side (at 30 psi, anyway), and their 37's apparent actual diameter is closer to 35.5", which means I might actually be able to run them AND still get in the garage.

Or I was also thinking of going Toyo, but their 37's are definitely way too big for my situation, so I'd have to stick with 35"s. And don't they run a little big, like maybe more than 35" actual?

So I guess the question is, would I get more height out of a Toyo Open Country M/T 35" or a BFG KM2 37", but not TOO much height?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would re-measure clearance and measure tire height. Your current tires were most likely not 35" new, more likely around 33.8"-33.9" meaning an actual 35" tall tire (mounted and on the Jeep) is going to be too tall to get in the garage.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was discussing the topic today with my neighbor, and also in one of the topics here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...2/#post4299084

Measure you MTR's from ground to the shoulder edge, MTR's run about .5" taller than similar sizes, even than Toyo or Nitto's, then compare that to other tires in the size you're looking at,

I can tell you my Nitto trail grapplers in 315/70/17 look massive compared to the BFG KO2's it replaced in the same size, and yet, they measured pretty much the same as my KO2's height wise , the Nittos are almost 1.5" wider though.

Most 37x12.5x17 measure 35.5", the MTR in 37's are 36"s (there is a picture in thet link i included, and i've also measured in my buddies Jeep, though i don't have that pic), if the MTR's in 35's follow the same pattern as the 37's, then your MTR's should be about 34" brand new, measure and post what you have to know, though in your case they will be smaller because of the miles, but still interesting to know.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Toyo 35"s or KM2 37"s? Want a lil more clearance but still need to fit in the garage