Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo open country MT reviews

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two sets of the Toyo MTs, one set in 33 on my TJ and a set in 35" on my JK. Both sets had the lugs peeling off the tire carcas on all 8 tires. Dealer said it was because of the rocks in Moab, no warranty. This was within 5k miles on each set. They ate the ball joints on the '10 Rubicon in 5k miles because of their insane weight. My jeeps were stock but lifted and saw no rough treatment, I wheel with Hummers so we go slow and pretty easy trails. Next set was MT/R but the Kevlar models. Great tire but could never balance them out. 16 oz on a couple of them. Now I run KM2s and have had zero issues.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton34
I had two sets of the Toyo MTs, one set in 33 on my TJ and a set in 35" on my JK. Both sets had the lugs peeling off the tire carcas on all 8 tires. Dealer said it was because of the rocks in Moab, no warranty. This was within 5k miles on each set. They ate the ball joints on the '10 Rubicon in 5k miles because of their insane weight. My jeeps were stock but lifted and saw no rough treatment, I wheel with Hummers so we go slow and pretty easy trails. Next set was MT/R but the Kevlar models. Great tire but could never balance them out. 16 oz on a couple of them. Now I run KM2s and have had zero issues.
a tire that doesn't chunk is a tire with a rubber compound that is too hard. i've run bfg's and yeah, while they wear like iron, i have never found them to offer the kind of grip that toyo's provide and, i have also found them to have the thinnest/weakest sidewalls of all the MT's i've run.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

I agree but my Toyos were not chunking in the normal way. I was having individual tread blocks come completely off or just hanging by small amounts of rubber. This along with deep cracks meant the tire were not drivable. The KM2s need to run with more air off road.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton34
I agree but my Toyos were not chunking in the normal way. I was having individual tread blocks come completely off or just hanging by small amounts of rubber. This along with deep cracks meant the tire were not drivable. The KM2s need to run with more air off road.
wierd. never had that happen to me before and, as you can see in all our photos and videos playing on moab rocks, rubicon rocks, hammers rocks or otherwise, our toyo's as well as everyone else who runs with us are fine. the only time i've found bfg's to work better in deep snow and mud but otherwise, more or less air still resulted in sidewall failures.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Toyo M/Ts are the best tires any day of the week on or off-road. My new 37s ran great 1200 miles with a slight delay in Moab!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-210180939.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	289507  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Just ordered 37/1350/17 toyo's. Should be here next week.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Sweet looking ride Speedy.....might have to rethink this.....I was thinking Nitto or BFG KM2's 35x12.50x17...but now I'm not sure....on the verge of a buy now that I'm lifted.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DesolationMania
Sweet looking ride Speedy.....might have to rethink this.....I was thinking Nitto or BFG KM2's 35x12.50x17...but now I'm not sure....on the verge of a buy now that I'm lifted.
Nitto and Toyo are sister companies, and the Trail Grapplers are comparable to Open Countries so you can't go wrong. I was also looking at Open Countrys, but ended up going Trail Grapplers.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe7
About ready to get some new 37" toyo mt's but just wanted to get some reviews before I bought them. How do they run off road/on road? Do you like them, etc.
I've owned both the D load range and the E load range version of this tire. I thought they were a great tire overall and was happy with them. They are a heavy tire, but were very durable when I ran them across both the Rubicon and Fordyce.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
a tire that doesn't chunk is a tire with a rubber compound that is too hard. i've run bfg's and yeah, while they wear like iron, i have never found them to offer the kind of grip that toyo's provide and, i have also found them to have the thinnest/weakest sidewalls of all the MT's i've run.
I fully agree here!

90% of the cut sidewalls that leaked air were people running with me on KM/2s.

I cut a sidewall on my Krawlers that was 3/16" deep and my tire did no leak all the way off the trail. My Toyo's were pretty solid and didn't chunk mutch, providing a great balance between durability and capability. My Krawlers did chunk but that was the trade off for grip IMO...

Quick Reply: Toyo open country MT reviews