Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPM System coming on after installing lift and 35"s.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPM System coming on after installing lift and 35"s.

I installed a 3.5" Pro Comp lift on my 4 door today and after I finished, it keeps saying "Check TPM System" on the dashboard. When I click over to where it reads the pressures of the tires it shows me that the front left tire is not registering. A few days before I installed the lift, I had new 35" tires and wheels put on, but they used the old pressure sensors out of my stock tires and wheels. The pressure sensor light does not always light up immediately, (sometimes it does) but after a little while it will come on and tells me that the front left tire is not registering. Is is something that the lift did, or is it an issue with the tire? Not sure where to turn yet. Going to disconnect the battery cable to reset the computer in the morning. Also, my ABS light comes on too, but I thing that is because my steering wheel has not been straightened out yet after I finished the lift install. Will straightening the wheel turn off the ABS light?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pressure sensor "could" have been damaged during the swap. I'd have the shop that did the work check it out.

As far as the ABS light. Yes, you need to center the steering wheel. The lift changed the stock geometry.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
The pressure sensor "could" have been damaged during the swap. I'd have the shop that did the work check it out.

As far as the ABS light. Yes, you need to center the steering wheel. The lift changed the stock geometry.

I re-centered the steering wheel and the ABS system is fine now. Not sure how I could have damaged the tire sensor. I thought it was a closed system inside the tire. I was careful not to damage the brake lines and stuff too, so hopefully it's something that Discount Tire did. I appreciate the help.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I can tell you from experience it would be difficult to damage the sensor as they are a sealed unit and not much to damage on them. I have swapped tires on my 2014 the old fashioned way with tire irons and was ham fisted and never had an issue. a tire shop can test to see if there is a transmission coming from the sensor to see if it is still working without dismounting the tire. The sensors send a signal so not a wire that can be damaged etc. I would try pumping the tire up to 45 psi or something high like that and run it for a few minutes to see if it starts working.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
I can tell you from experience it would be difficult to damage the sensor as they are a sealed unit and not much to damage on them. I have swapped tires on my 2014 the old fashioned way with tire irons and was ham fisted and never had an issue. a tire shop can test to see if there is a transmission coming from the sensor to see if it is still working without dismounting the tire. The sensors send a signal so not a wire that can be damaged etc. I would try pumping the tire up to 45 psi or something high like that and run it for a few minutes to see if it starts working.
I'll try that. I knew it was a closed wireless system, so I didnt think there was even a way for me to damage it. When I first got the tires and wheels it worked ok, but it started giving me issues occasionally a few days later and now the front left tire wont register at all. I'll air it up to 45 PSI and give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Try swapping tire positions. That way if the light comes on with the new tire position you will know you have a bad sensor.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
I re-centered the steering wheel and the ABS system is fine now. Not sure how I could have damaged the tire sensor. I thought it was a closed system inside the tire. I was careful not to damage the brake lines and stuff too, so hopefully it's something that Discount Tire did. I appreciate the help.
Glad to hear the ABS system is happy again but I didn't suggest that you damaged the sensor. What PSI are you running in the tires?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

My traction control kept kicking in after my lift. My first thought was RUTROW, I messed this up and it's going to get expensive now. After a little research and re-centering the steering wheel all was good.

I hope your sensor is a cheap fix!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Glad to hear the ABS system is happy again but I didn't suggest that you damaged the sensor. What PSI are you running in the tires?
I knew you didn't suggest I damaged it. I just know I couldn't have done anything to. I'm running some General Grabbers at 35 psi. Have to head to discount tire tomorrow to pick up my spare, so I'm going to have them check the sensor. They have damaged sensors in my vehicles before, so I would not be surprised if it was them. If the issue is still there tomorrow after I have them check the sensor, I'm going to move the tire to a different spot and put a different one there, that way I will have a better idea of whats going on. Thanks for your help, by the way!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nuclear Cowboy
My traction control kept kicking in after my lift. My first thought was RUTROW, I messed this up and it's going to get expensive now. After a little research and re-centering the steering wheel all was good.

I hope your sensor is a cheap fix!
I freaked out and called my buddy, and he told me what the problem probably was. All good now! Still going to have the dealership do an alignment tomorrow, just because I threw new front and rear track bars in, and I want to make sure everything is driving straight.

Quick Reply: TPM System coming on after installing lift and 35"s.