Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Issues on new 37s... is there a fix??

Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Issues on new 37s... is there a fix??

2014 JK Rubicon 2 Dr.
Hey guys, so i just mounted my 37s on my new wheels, installed new TPMS sensors (From Amazon, link below).. did not reuse my factory ones. The problem is that they are not all syncing up, only have 3 of the 4 are working. The front driver one synced up right away, I would say within the first 15 min of driving my jeep. The next two (Front Passenger and Rear Passenger) synced up like two days later on my way to work, which is like a 20 min drive, mostly highway. The fourth one (Rear Driver) has not yet synced up, and it has been like 6 or 7 days and probably about 50 - 75 hwy miles. I have been being patient with it just thinking it is going to eventually catch up with the others. Is there a trick to get them all working that i am not doing? Should i just wait it out... i am taking about a 75 mile trip in the middle of the month to get my gears installed... should i just wait until then and see if that kicks the last one in the ass? Anybody have this issue? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
i am taking about a 75 mile trip in the middle of the month to get my gears installed
I can't help with the TPMS issue, but just in case the shop doing gears doesn't say anything to you about break in/heat cycles, read up a bit. Those first few heat cycles on new gears are the most important and 75 miles is a good distance to drive with em. Seems like a lot of shops around here DON'T say anything to customers about breaking em in and just send people along on their merry way.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

They normally work instantly. My guess is a faulty sensor.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I can't help with the TPMS issue, but just in case the shop doing gears doesn't say anything to you about break in/heat cycles, read up a bit. Those first few heat cycles on new gears are the most important and 75 miles is a good distance to drive with em. Seems like a lot of shops around here DON'T say anything to customers about breaking em in and just send people along on their merry way.
I will definitely to that, been a while since I got new gears so i will make sure to look into it. Thanks

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
They normally work instantly. My guess is a faulty sensor.
Hope not, if so ill probably just shut them off. I don't really want to dismount my tire. Thanks
Old 08-31-2017, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

What are you running for tire pressure in the new tires?

On the Rubicon, the warning is programmed to come on when the pressure drops to 29 psi, and remain on until the pressure is brought up to 34 psi. That's assuming your placard says the tires should be at 37 psi, as mine does.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

On the Rubicon, the warning is programmed to come on when the pressure drops to 29 psi, and remain on until the pressure is brought up to 34 psi. That's assuming your placard says the tires should be at 37 psi, as mine does.
I'd check pressure first. The factory settings are high compared to what we typically run. I beleive, I've not looked for a while, that something like the AEV can adjust the pressure thresholds where they don't trigger as high.

Second thought would be to visit a Discount Tire/America'a Tire and see if they have the reset tool. Those should red light/green light upon reset and let you rule out a bad sensor.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Have you tried rotating the left rear with the left front? Maybe it's a range issue and the sensor is having trouble establishing a strong enough connection with the Jeep for initial pairing. It's easier than dismounting the tire. You could do it temporarily (50 miles or so) and then swap the tires back so you don't screw up your tire rotation.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

I'm running around 28.. but that is that not issue i am having... one of the tire pressures sensors(rear driver) is not picking up at all. It is coming up blank on my dash readout and giving me a TPMS error.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
I'd check pressure first. The factory settings are high compared to what we typically run. I beleive, I've not looked for a while, that something like the AEV can adjust the pressure thresholds where they don't trigger as high.

Second thought would be to visit a Discount Tire/America'a Tire and see if they have the reset tool. Those should red light/green light upon reset and let you rule out a bad sensor.
Yeah i have the AEV Procal.. i can shut off and change PSI settings. But the rear driver isn't reading anyt pressure at all and the other 3 are reading like 27 - 29 depending on if they are warm or cold. I'll give Discount Tire a call.. i think there is one pretty close to where i live. thanks
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBlueJeep
Have you tried rotating the left rear with the left front? Maybe it's a range issue and the sensor is having trouble establishing a strong enough connection with the Jeep for initial pairing. It's easier than dismounting the tire. You could do it temporarily (50 miles or so) and then swap the tires back so you don't screw up your tire rotation.
Yeah..i could give this a try, couldn't hurt. Thanks

Quick Reply: TPMS Issues on new 37s... is there a fix??