Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Light on in the EVIC - All sensors showing correct pressure

Old 04-06-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Light on in the EVIC - All sensors showing correct pressure

Hi All,

My apologies if this has been covered. I've read several threads about TPMS but cannot find anything that applies to my situation.

Here is a little background:
2013 JKU. About a month ago I swapped from the stock 18' wheels with 265/70/18's to a set of 295/70/17's on after market wheels. I had them installed at a local tire shop and had them move the TPM sensors to the new wheels. About three weeks later, the TPM light illuminated on the EVIC during normal driving condition. It blinks for 75 seconds and then goes solid. All forums and the manual indicate that this is a malfunction in the TPM system and not in a sensor.

All of the TPMS sensors show the correct PSI on the EVIC (See pic). No indication of pressures below threshold. Before taking back to the tire shop,these are the troubleshooting steps performed:
Aired up to 40 PSI for a couple days with no luck.
I brought it down to 32 and drove for a couple days with no luck.
Disconnected the battery for about 4 hours. Upon starting it back up, the TPM light comes back on.

Today, I took it back to the tire shop and had them attempt to relearn the TPM system since the locations were matching up when I would inflate/deflate. (Adding air to the right front tire was showing on EVIC as left read.) They manually assigned the location with their reader but also showed me that there were 2 codes showing - my code reader doesn't pull anything from TPM.

C151D-00 Tire Pressure Sensor Location Undetermined - Active
C1580-00 Left/Right Side Tire Pressure Sensor Location Undetermined
The shop guy let me take a picture (see below)

I'm thinking that my issue lies in a location sensor, but I don't know where they are mounted on the frame to look for them. I understand that I could probably shut off TPMS with a programmer, but I'd rather find the issue and fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help or suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TPMS_Error codes.JPG
Views:	731
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	669792

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accureate_PSI_Solid_Light.JPG
Views:	1205
Size:	585.4 KB
ID:	669799
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Check_TPM_System.JPG
Views:	711
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	669806  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Does your spare have a sensor in it? There are no sensors on the frame it is a wireless module (which could be bad) you will need factory scan tool to program I believe. I will see if I can find a procedure or flow chart for those codes when I head to work tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dukdogz4
Does your spare have a sensor in it? There are no sensors on the frame it is a wireless module (which could be bad) you will need factory scan tool to program I believe. I will see if I can find a procedure or flow chart for those codes when I head to work tomorrow.
Thanks for your reply.

The spare does have a sensor in it. Its been checked by me and the tire shop. It presently sits at 35 PSI and can be read by the tool the shop used. Thanks for looking into the codes. I do appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Just to add, the rest of the components of the WCM seem to function just fine. Remote start works without issue as do both key fobs.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a theory, since I experienced a similar problem when I got new tires and had TPS which were getting up there in age. (ie 4 years old). I brought it back to the tire shop and they couldn't find anything wrong, they checked each sensor with their little machine, re-paired the sensors, etc. I've also read where others have had similar problems right after getting their tires replaced.

My theory is that with wireless devices when they detect they are not connected, they will increase their signal strength in an attempt to reconnect with the device they were previously connected with. To do this, they will need to increase the power supplied to their transmitter. These TPS monitors are powered by batteries. This extra exerted power, takes an already aging battery and drains it even further but does not fully kill the battery. So it still is able to intermittently communicate but not at the strength it needs to once they're put back in place on your tires which is causing communication problems.

If you would like to get these fixed, I would start by going on Amazon and purchasing 5 replacement sensors.

Currently, I don't have any sensors and used my Flashcal to turn off the light. I recently picked up a Bluedriver OBD2 code scanner where it is able to read ABS, Airbags and a lot of other codes that most of the other scanners won't. As a reference, here are the codes I pulled. So I'm seeing 4 codes which are likely related to the sensors not being present. The last code, I'm currently suspecting that may be a code logged due to me turning off the TPS light using the Flashcal. So anyways, this should give you an indication of what a completely dead battery or missing TPS code would read (C1501-C5104)

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-08-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the delayed response on this. I've been on the road quite a bit in the last three weeks.....
So I jumped in the Jeep on Friday morning and the "Check TMP Sensor" light didn't come on. I thought maybe it was a fluke, so I shut it down and tried again. It stayed off. I installed some new shocks on Saturday and even with taking all four tires, the TPM light remained off.

I've read that the TPM system should reset after 10 minutes of driving at 15-20 MPH, but not three weeks. Oh well. One less thing to worry about.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quick Reply: TPMS Light on in the EVIC - All sensors showing correct pressure