Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Bar, do i need one?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Bar, do i need one?

Put a 3 inch BDS lift and 35s. Should I put a track bar on? What exactly is benefit and what brand to go with?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Have you tried searching?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by FJ Jake
Put a 3 inch BDS lift and 35s. Should I put a track bar on? What exactly is benefit and what brand to go with?
Yes you need a Trackbar. It is a crucial part of your suspension.

It is used to connect your axle to your frame for lateral movement tracking. Basically keeps your axle from shifting left and right on the road and leaving your Jeep.

There are several brands. RC is the cheapest adjustable TrackBar at $109. JKS makes a very popular one that is for 0-6" lifts that costs $169. You could just go with a trackbar bracket and stock trackbar.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An adjustable track bar will make it so that you can center your axle under the Jeep. A 3" lift is going to kick the axle out to the driver side in front and the pasenger side in the rear and will contribute to some wierd driving characteristics.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
An adjustable track bar will make it so that you can center your axle under the Jeep. A 3" lift is going to kick the axle out to the driver side in front and the pasenger side in the rear and will contribute to some wierd driving characteristics.
This is interesting, I just looked and my driverside does seem to stick out a bit further than the passanger side. I too have the 3" BDS lift plus I have 3/4" spacers. The rear looks good though.

Let me add 2 more questions:

1) Do you need a front end alignment after you install the adjustable track bar? Can I install it in my driveway or do I have to have it done at an alignment shop?

2) What about a dropped pitman arm? Do I need one of those as well?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mschneid

This is interesting, I just looked and my driverside does seem to stick out a bit further than the passanger side. I too have the 3" BDS lift plus I have 3/4" spacers. The rear looks good though.

1) Do you need a front end alignment after you install the adjustable track bar? Can I install it in my driveway or do I have to have it done at an alignment shop?

No you will not need an alignment and yes it's very easy to install! (2 bolts)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes on the driveway install and I highly recomend changing out the fully threaded metric metric bolts for tighter fitting (shouldered) 9/16" Grade 8 bolts. Not sure about the pitman. Im running a 3" lift and get a tiny bit of bump steer but its not worth it to me.

Rob
Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
I highly recomend changing out the fully threaded metric metric bolts for tighter fitting (shouldered) 9/16" Grade 8 boltsRob
Does any know the length and exact size or threads and how long is the shoulder? I tried doing a search but that failed.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Does any know the length and exact size or threads and how long is the shoulder? I tried doing a search but that failed.
Northridge4x4.com sells a kit
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I believe the ones I used were 3 1/2" Long. You want fine thread bolts and locking nuts. If you dont go with the Polyperformance or Northridge kits you might want to get a tape measure and check the actual grip (the OD of the bracket). Then you can make sure the shoulder is not too long. I got my bolts from a local place in town but the Northridge kit is a good deal price wise if you can afford the shipping time.

Rob

Quick Reply: Track Bar, do i need one?