Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trackbar 14mm bolt 16mm hole issue

Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackbar 14mm bolt 16mm hole issue

Iīm from Argentina and this is my first thread. I read the forum since a few years back, but I never posted because all the questions that I had, were already ansewered, since today.

I wanted to repair the issue of the "big hole small bolt" on the trackbar that Iīve heard is the main reason for death wobble. I checked and indeed the bolt is 14mm and the hole is 16mm. I think it was Wayalife that said that the way this problem is resolved is by welding some washers with the right hole diameter.
Welding means painting, and welding down there is really uncomftable, so I decided to make bushings. Two very slim bushings to turn the 16mm hole to 14mm so the bolt has no freeplay. I did and I tested it and everything seems to be ok, but I wanted to know the opinion of you guys... please let me know if Iīm missing something.

PS: the problem is only on the side of the lower side of trackbar, the one that links the trackbar and the axle or on both sides?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...-bolts-210051/
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

This sounds like an interesting attempt to repair the problem. My primary concern would be if there's enough material on the bushing to survive the forces from the trackbar. That would obviously depend on the material you selected. Would be very interested in how this works out for you over the next few weeks, as well as longer term. Would suggest pull it open on occasion and check how those bushings are doing. Please let us know.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Today Iīll set the right torque on the bolts on the bar. In a few weeks I could dismantle everything and post pictures.
I did this repair this way because itīs easyer than welding.

Please anyone know if the problem is just on the axle end of the trackbar or on both sides ?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know your in Argentina so no idea how much or if shipping is possible...

SYNERGY MANUFACTURING*::*Jeep JK*::*Synergy Jeep JK Lower Control Arm & Track Bar Hardware Kit
Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
I know your in Argentina so no idea how much or if shipping is possible...

SYNERGY MANUFACTURING*::*Jeep JK*::*Synergy Jeep JK Lower Control Arm & Track Bar Hardware Kit
That is interesting, but according to the installation manual on this item, I think the numbers donīt add up. I can be mistaken but, the axle trackbar mount hole is bigger than 15,5 mm in diameter and in that Synergy kit replacement is only a 9/16" bolt. The sleeve inside the trackbar I think itīs 9/16", using a 9/16" bolt on a 9/16" hole sould be very tight but should work (getting it in with a hammer).
But the problem is the freeplay on the trackbar mount on the axle side. That hole is bigger than 15.5mm and 9/16" in mm is less than 14.3mm that means more than 1mm of freeplay. The stock bolt is 14mm and the Synergy bolt is 14.3, I donīt see much gain. Using a bigger bolt is not possible because you are limited to the hole on the sleeve of the trackbar that is 14,3.
Thatīs why I used bushings to get from 15,5 to 14mm.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I doubt it will last very long. The metal is too thin and there is not enough surface clamping area on each side of the bracket to retain the small piece of metal you placed between.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Morbo
That is interesting, but according to the installation manual on this item, I think the numbers donīt add up. I can be mistaken but, the axle trackbar mount hole is bigger than 15,5 mm in diameter and in that Synergy kit replacement is only a 9/16" bolt. The sleeve inside the trackbar I think itīs 9/16", using a 9/16" bolt on a 9/16" hole sould be very tight but should work (getting it in with a hammer).
But the problem is the freeplay on the trackbar mount on the axle side. That hole is bigger than 15.5mm and 9/16" in mm is less than 14.3mm that means more than 1mm of freeplay. The stock bolt is 14mm and the Synergy bolt is 14.3, I donīt see much gain. Using a bigger bolt is not possible because you are limited to the hole on the sleeve of the trackbar that is 14,3.
Thatīs why I used bushings to get from 15,5 to 14mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiydwQHc7QQ
Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

That is exacty what I'm talking about.
At the beginning of the video they say : "Chrysler uses a 14mm bolt for a 9/16" bracket bolt hole..." That is wrong.
According to google : (9/16) inch = 14.2875 millimeters.
Now look at the video, on the beginning... do that freeplay look like 0.2875 mm to you ?

The sleeve on the trackbar is 9/16", that is true, but the bracket hole is way bigger than 9/16. It is very hard to mesure, because of the location, but the hole is more o less 15.7mm.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Northridge 4x4 also make a jk bolt kit and ships.

Sent using smoke signals

Quick Reply: Trackbar 14mm bolt 16mm hole issue