JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Traction Control light coming on... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/traction-control-light-coming-348984/)

Sltimmins 01-10-2019 03:31 PM

Traction Control light coming on...

So starting about two months ago my traction control light had been coming on intermittently. It has now started to come on almost every time I drive it. I hooked up my scanner to the Jeep and got the codes P0571 (Brake Switch 1 Performance), U1408 (Implausible Brake Signal Received), C1000 (Brake Pedal Switch 1 Circuit Performance, and C107C (Brake Pedal Switch 1/2 Stuck - Stored). After doing some research I found that many people have had this same problem, some fixing it by replacing their brake switch, some simply tightening down their battery terminals connections, and some replacing the alternator/battery. I have replaced my brake switch and tightened my battery terminal connections but I am still getting the light. I have a new battery that is less than 6 months old and according to my stereo my alternator is pushing out around 14.5V so I cannot imagine that either of those are the problem. I am running out of ideas and am trying to avoid a trip to the shop if I can. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? Or anyone who has had this problem and was able to fix it in a different way than what I have already mentioned?

ronjenx 01-10-2019 04:08 PM

I couldn't find C1000 in my 2012 service manual.

The other codes seem to indicate the computers are not seeing an indication that you have depressed the brake pedal.

When you depress the brake pedal, do all three brake lights come on?
When you replaced the switch, did you pull the plunger all the way out before installing it in the bracket, and have the pedal fully depressed while installing the switch in the bracket? If you did both of those things, did you hear a ratcheting sound when you let the pedal retract?

Sltimmins 01-10-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4334090)
I couldn't find C1000 in my 2012 service manual.

The other codes seem to indicate the computers are not seeing an indication that you have depressed the brake pedal.

When you depress the brake pedal, do all three brake lights come on?
When you replaced the switch, did you pull the plunger all the way out before installing it in the bracket, and have the pedal fully depressed while installing the switch in the bracket? If you did both of those things, did you hear a ratcheting sound when you let the pedal retract?

Yes, all three lights come on with the pedal depressed.
Here is a picture of my scanner with the C1000 code.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...8bdf0681f.jpeg
And to answer your other questions, yes I took all of those steps when installing the new brake switch.

ronjenx 01-10-2019 04:34 PM

You said you are still getting the light. Did you clear the codes, and they came back?

Sltimmins 01-10-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4334094)
You said you are still getting the light. Did you clear the codes, and they came back?

Yep, cleared the codes and they came back about 5-10 minutes into my next drive.

Sltimmins 01-14-2019 01:00 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

Sequel 01-19-2019 08:08 PM

You need to look at the live data on your scanner. Your image looks like a snap on so it should have the pids. Under abs got to data and look for the brake indicator PIDS. Not sure what they are actually called. Hit the brake pedal a few times and see if they change in unison. Keep in mind, there are two circuits that go from the pedal to the pcm. This acts as double check if you will in the brake pedal switch. If they don’t agree the. You get this code.

I am am looking at a wiring diagram from 2013 so hoping the 2012 is the same. Also the lamps key of a separate circuit the runs through the brake pedal switch. The computer is 2 additional circuits that go through that same switch therefore the lamps may work but the computer may be getting differing signals depending on switch or wiring issues.

WaterRat72 01-23-2019 10:59 AM

Just to verify, you have the green circled light coming on correct? Not the red one.

I have the red one on and it's a bad (front) wheel speed sensor. No big deal I just can't use cruise control. It may be a bad sensor or wire. I will have to look into it.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...8ae2c17ad3.jpg

SoK66 01-23-2019 11:43 AM

This can occur if your axles aren't centered under the frame, and/or your steering wheel isn't dead centered. Easy to check and verify before you move on.

jedg 01-23-2019 12:16 PM

What SoK66 said. A friend had this occurring. Turned out to be the axles and steering wheel. Front axle shifted driver side and rear axle shifted passenger side... he was running a lift that netted a bit over 4 inches... not sure if this is your case, but worth investigating.