Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transparent hard top for wrangler jku

Old 07-06-2018, 01:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transparent hard top for wrangler jku

Where can I get a transparent hard top for my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sports.

I heard CLEARLIDZ make something like this in Ontario but have not started its production for 2014.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Hasan
Pakistan
Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

There used to be a company that added glass panels to existing freedom panels, you sent in yours, and they sent you a set they had already finished, but I haven't heard anything about them in a long time.

Quadratec used to also have something along those lines, but I haven't seen anything in their catalog in a while. Not sure if anyone is making them currently.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here, https://jeetop.com/ out of my league for sure. Pricey but they do look cool.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

JScherb had the Freedom Top sunroof as a DIY idea. It's on here somewhere.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by akpostal
JScherb had the Freedom Top sunroof as a DIY idea. It's on here somewhere.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb

OH
MY
GOD

That sir, is just amazing! I'm afraid to ask how much that even cost you. Are the seals on the moon roofs good or have you had any leading?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
OH
MY
GOD

That sir, is just amazing! I'm afraid to ask how much that even cost you. Are the seals on the moon roofs good or have you had any leading?
The seals on the Freedom Panel openable skylights are well-proven automotive seals of the type used in flip-out windows on minivans and pickup crew cabs. The seals in the main hardtop skylights are also well-proven window-gasket seals very commonly used in automotive and marine applications (like the windshield of a Jeep CJ-7). Everything follows automotive best practices.

Being a DIY project, the cost wasn't very high - the most expensive part is getting tempered glass panels made, but that's something many automotive glass shops can do or arrange to have done. The glass in the Freedom Panels didn't actually cost me anything though, I had an RV glass manufacturer do the tempered glass for me as prototypes for a possible production product so they didn't charge me. In reasonable quantities (25 pieces of glass), they can be manufactured for about $20 each.

At this point the skylights in the main hardtop are plexiglass, although they should be replaced with tempered glass (or laminated safety glass) as well because plexiglass will be affected by UV from the sun and will also scratch. I'd expect to pay about $50-60 each when I have an automotive glass place make a pair of them for me, but they would cost about $20 each in small manufacturing quantities.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
The seals on the Freedom Panel openable skylights are well-proven automotive seals of the type used in flip-out windows on minivans and pickup crew cabs. The seals in the main hardtop skylights are also well-proven window-gasket seals very commonly used in automotive and marine applications (like the windshield of a Jeep CJ-7). Everything follows automotive best practices.

Being a DIY project, the cost wasn't very high - the most expensive part is getting tempered glass panels made, but that's something many automotive glass shops can do or arrange to have done. The glass in the Freedom Panels didn't actually cost me anything though, I had an RV glass manufacturer do the tempered glass for me as prototypes for a possible production product so they didn't charge me. In reasonable quantities (25 pieces of glass), they can be manufactured for about $20 each.

At this point the skylights in the main hardtop are plexiglass, although they should be replaced with tempered glass (or laminated safety glass) as well because plexiglass will be affected by UV from the sun and will also scratch. I'd expect to pay about $50-60 each when I have an automotive glass place make a pair of them for me, but they would cost about $20 each in small manufacturing quantities.
I'm assuming you did this with either a jigsaw or a rotozip? Was any reinforcement of the hard top required? I am unfamiliar with how the interior of the panels are supported, ie if there's some honeycomb or other structural bracing internal to the top. Was this something you did as a one-off proof of concept?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
I'm assuming you did this with either a jigsaw or a rotozip? Was any reinforcement of the hard top required? I am unfamiliar with how the interior of the panels are supported, ie if there's some honeycomb or other structural bracing internal to the top. Was this something you did as a one-off proof of concept?
I made these as prototypes of a potential production product for a Jeep accessories company.

Best practice for cutting fiberglass is to do it with abrasive tools. I did the main cutting with a 1/16"-thick abrasive disk in a 4 1/2" angle grinder and the corners with a 1 5/8" diamond cutting disk in a air die grinder.

Anywhere the inner and outer shells don't touch in a factory hardtop is air; there's nothing inside.

Cutting the skylight holes in the main hardtop is pretty straightforward as long as you cut on the flat surfaces between the raised ribs. The ribs can't be avoided when the holes are made in the Freedom panels, so a little fiberglass work is required to flatten out the edge of the hole so the gaskets can lay flat and seal properly:

No reinforcement of the hardtop was required.
The following users liked this post:
Skippman (07-13-2018)
Old 09-06-2023, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putco just released they sky view. I Ordered it and I'm in love

Quick Reply: Transparent hard top for wrangler jku