Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trigger Pulled - JSS Hemi Swap

Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not, I found out about them well into my build and had all my parts already. I am very interested to see them however.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greglaw
I did not, I found out about them well into my build and had all my parts already. I am very interested to see them however.
Well if I ever get my kit (only been 5 months lol ) I'll write it up with pics etc. I'm supposed to be getting the bolt-in mounts; we'll see... I think Todd was just about finished with developing the new mounts and about half-way done with his new Hemi headers when I ordered mine.

OK sorry for the thread hijack! Feroxjb thanks very much for your excellent write-up! Very informative and funny too. I hope to have a write-up that will also make the "hall-of-fame" list of swap threads on here lol. Truck Hemi with manual transmission...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5 months! Holy shit I thought waiting two months was bad. What are these new headers you speak of? I have a set of 6.4 challenger headers I have been meaning to put in for. A year. Is Todd offering custom headers now? Did not see on website.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Da20captain
5 months! Holy shit I thought waiting two months was bad. What are these new headers you speak of? I have a set of 6.4 challenger headers I have been meaning to put in for. A year. Is Todd offering custom headers now? Did not see on website.
He's been posting on Facebook / Instagram of late. Search on his name and/or Jeep Speed Shop. The website was updated about a year ago, but hasn't seen much love since. He does have a set of headers now apparently for sale. FWIW, he said about 2 months ago that he had just fabbed up about 30 sets...

I bought a set of the newer 6.4 / 6.2 car hemi headers. They look just like the 6.1 / 6.4 car headers down to the end of the stainless steel shields, but have an additional ~2 inches of single tube with an O2 bung before the flange. Hoping the extra length will clear the control arm brackets without too much trouble. They're also going to have to clear the new bolt-in mounts; not yet sure on that obviously. See pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	674526
Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Basically I have the same ones with the exception of the O2 bungs. You may have to clock the flange/s. I have a long arm so I am not expecting the the bracket interference. My biggest worry is breaking off bolt heads. When I pulled off the old manifolds I broke one off. I would hate to have to tackle that issue. Please keep me posted on your install of your headers.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man.. I totally missed all those posts about the headers.. and I'm subscribed to this thread. Wonder why I didn't get the email update.

Any update on using the larger headers? Kinda thinking about it.... it's cooling off here in SA and it would be a good time for me to consider doing it... (Because the hotter it is, the easier it is for me to be frustrated and throw wrenches).
Old 10-03-2017, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by feroxjb
Man.. I totally missed all those posts about the headers.. and I'm subscribed to this thread. Wonder why I didn't get the email update.

Any update on using the larger headers? Kinda thinking about it.... it's cooling off here in SA and it would be a good time for me to consider doing it... (Because the hotter it is, the easier it is for me to be frustrated and throw wrenches).
Nothing from me yet, other than the bolt-in engine mounts will not work with the SRT headers. The second tube from the front on both sides (from cylinders 3 left side and 4 right side) route down and in toward the block, making contact with those mounts. I sent the mounts back for a set of Todd's weld-in mount brackets; didn't want to go with the log manifolds and definitely did not want to pay $500+ for the custom headers. The SRT manifolds can be found for less than half that on the web. I also already had all the hardware, the GC mounts, dipstick, etc. that will work with the SRTs. As soon as I get the frame brackets (and PCM) I'll start tearing into this thing.

Last edited by NoVA Family Guy; 10-29-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: corrected cylinder numbers
Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Have any of you all had problems fitting the JSS rear AC hose onto the compressor? Looks like my hose adapter is about 10 thousandths too big? I asked Todd and he apparently hasn't had this problem before. I'm using the Ram 1500 compressor, part number 55111442AG from a 2013 truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Line incompatible.png
Views:	209
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	675418
Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay. From what I googled that compressor looks a little different than the one I used. I can't remember, but wasn't there a specific hose that JSS sends you? I can't remember which one it is.

Originally Posted by NoVA Family Guy
Have any of you all had problems fitting the JSS rear AC hose onto the compressor? Looks like my hose adapter is about 10 thousandths too big? I asked Todd and he apparently hasn't had this problem before. I'm using the Ram 1500 compressor, part number 55111442AG from a 2013 truck.

Attachment 675418
Old 10-27-2017, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for replying. I went ahead and bought another ac compressor from either your parts list or da20captain's. Todd's return hose didn't fit that compressor either; so I lightly sanded about 10 mils off the diameter of the hose fitting and then used a piece of 3M scotch brite to smooth out the sanding marks.

So the ac compressor kit comes with two types of gaskets that may work. Did you use both of these on each of your hoses?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4294966816.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	993.6 KB
ID:	675707   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo643.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	906.3 KB
ID:	675708  

Quick Reply: Trigger Pulled - JSS Hemi Swap