Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble deciding on a lift kit

Old 04-08-2017, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dozer311
Jks makes a great product. I did a lot of research over a year's time and while I eventually decided on MC Game Changer 2.5 my second choice was jks. MC has more than exceeded our expectations. The 2.5 gave a tremendous amount of lift.
What do you mean by a tremendous amount of lift?

I looked more into their lifts and it looks like the best bang for the buck.

Looked at the MC 2.5 with the Rocksport shocks.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with the JKS 2.5 and have been very happy with it. I added their fixed length front lower control arms and rear sway bar links as well. I already had their rear tracbar brace welded on and of course their tracbar relocation bracket for the rear works with the brace which was a plus for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	669995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	669996  
Old 04-08-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I went with the JKS 2.5 and have been very happy with it. I added their fixed length front lower control arms and rear sway bar links as well. I already had their rear tracbar brace welded on and of course their tracbar relocation bracket for the rear works with the brace which was a plus for me.
what size tires are you running in that picture?

also how do you like the Fox shocks?

that looks like the height I'm going for.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billetsilverjk
what size tires are you running in that picture?

also how do you like the Fox shocks?

that looks like the height I'm going for.
I've got 285 70 17 BFG KO2s. I would say the Fox shocks are slightly stiffer than the Rubicon shocks that I replaced. The difference is almost NOT worth mentioning though.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Pass on the RK. I'm south of you and the rust is eating up the coils unlike anything I've seen. Jks is receiving favorable reviews but Metalcloak isn't one to be ignored. You could have their . Rock Sport edition kit and have a really nice riding vehicle with the ability to enjoy the day at Rausch.

To do it again- I'd go with another manufacturer. My RK coils are on Craigslist now waiting for a new home so I can go Metalcloak.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's exactly what I got, GC rocksport edition. Without adding any additional weight: steel bumpers, armour, winch, skids I am definitely sitting higher than. 2.5, I got closer to 3.5" of lift. The guys at metalcloak told me this as well prior to making my decision.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170409_081126.png
Views:	200
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	669999

That's with 35's.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Lots of good lifts out there. I recently installed a MC game changer OME 3.5 on my buddy's new rubicon and it does great. I installed an aev 2.5 on my new rubicon 2 door and it does great. I had a RK on my 14 jkur and it did great but like has been mentioned RK has crappy powder coating and they replaced my rear coils due to sagging. I had to jump thru a lot of hoops to get them replaced but they did replace them..

We just got back from Moab and drove over 750 miles each way non stop so drove 75-80mph the whole way down and back. Wheeled hard ie golden spike, behind the rocks, strike ravine, Kane creek and then easier trails too ie hells revenge, fins and things and jax tracks. in our group was 2 aev lifts mine and my buddy's 3.5 aev on his 2 door, the MC on his 4 door, a buddy with a TF S/T3 sport lift on his 4 door (very nice lift) and another buddy with a RK 2.5/3.5 (2.5 coils in front 3.5 in back).

All did extremely well on the trails and had no issues. Mine flexed the least but even tho I was in a 2 door I think mine handled the 1500 miles of 75-80 better than the rest. Thing just rides and handles extremely well at speed on fast twisty roads.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
Lots of good lifts out there. I recently installed a MC game changer OME 3.5 on my buddy's new rubicon and it does great. I installed an aev 2.5 on my new rubicon 2 door and it does great. I had a RK on my 14 jkur and it did great but like has been mentioned RK has crappy powder coating and they replaced my rear coils due to sagging. I had to jump thru a lot of hoops to get them replaced but they did replace them..

We just got back from Moab and drove over 750 miles each way non stop so drove 75-80mph the whole way down and back. Wheeled hard ie golden spike, behind the rocks, strike ravine, Kane creek and then easier trails too ie hells revenge, fins and things and jax tracks. in our group was 2 aev lifts mine and my buddy's 3.5 aev on his 2 door, the MC on his 4 door, a buddy with a TF S/T3 sport lift on his 4 door (very nice lift) and another buddy with a RK 2.5/3.5 (2.5 coils in front 3.5 in back).

All did extremely well on the trails and had no issues. Mine flexed the least but even tho I was in a 2 door I think mine handled the 1500 miles of 75-80 better than the rest. Thing just rides and handles extremely well at speed on fast twisty roads.
That's great to hear. I am planning a trip to moab myself for 2018, I cant wait to go!

thanks for the info,
Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We specialize in JKS, EVO and dabble in Metal Cloak. For what you're looking for we would strongly recommend the JKS J Spec 2.5" kit, although you really can't lose between these choices.

The reason for the JKS kit is the quality components included in the base kit, the adaptability, the ride quality and user friendliness. We find the kits to be the perfect choice for daily drivers, and of course the off road performance is great.

We do offer forum discounts on all of the brands, if you want to talk nuts and bolts feel free to PM me here, although I will be at EJS, so communication may be slow. If you want to jump on it now you can give us a call at the shop, ask for Tim, he will take care of you.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a MC urban assault kit in mine and love it . It still rides stock and it was an easy install there springs will give you more lift than it states if you don't put any bumpers or a winch on it and the lift will be stated # if you have them

Quick Reply: Trouble deciding on a lift kit