Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truetrac owners - performance offroad?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truetrac owners - performance offroad?

Considering Detroit TT on both F and R (D30, D44). Northeast weather, good deal of trail riding.

Understand pros and cons vs lockers and appreciate value on road/snow. But, want to know real life experience from folks running TTs offroad in mud, rocks etc. How often wish had lockers instead? Where has worked very well? Any regrets?

Mostly want to avoid regrets. For example, have 33s now and wish i had listened to posts saying i would want 35s (I already do!).
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Prior to having a JK I had a '94 Ford Explorer with 32's and a longarm kit.....anyways I had TT's front and rear. I loved them until, a wheel lifted off the ground then it was all over, you could work the brakes and trick it into working ( maybe it will work with the JK's BLD system better). So i ended up changing over to a Detroit locker in the rear.

FYI, I went with TT in the front and detroit in the rear again

just my 2 cents!!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I ran TT front and rear in my old ZJ. Great in mud and loose dirt. I wish I had at least a full rear, selectable, locker.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had Detroit TTs front and back on my XJ and loved them. Totally invisible on road and very, very good off-road. The main thing you have to think of is where your Jeep spends most of its time.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I started with front/rear detroits, horrible on icy freeways. Pulled the front and replaced with a TT. Much better in winter weather, and since I don't spend much time in the rocks, no noticeable difference offroad. Still got me everywhere I wanted to go with no issues. 6 years later I blew up the rear detroit, and replaced with another truetrac. Best onroad setup, and still great performance offroad. If I spent more time with tires in the air, I could have lived with another rear detroit, but I had zero complaints with two TT's.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not trying to hi jack, and if I am, I'm sorry....

It seems to me the front tires lift more than the rears, so would it not be better to fun TT in the rear and locked up front?

I've heard that if your only going to run one locker the best is in the front, but would be interested in others thought....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had mine in the rear D44 for two weeks and have not had time to really test it off road yet. Want to see if the elec. limited slip the jk has helps it when a wheel is in the air. As, others have said, if this is your dd and you do not get a wheel in the air then this should do you fine as I hope it will me!

Last edited by GunDude; 07-25-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by BigHugh54
It seems to me the front tires lift more than the rears, so would it not be better to fun TT in the rear and locked up front?
Do a little research into running lockers on snow/ice. That is why he is looking at truetracs.

I've heard that if your only going to run one locker the best is in the front, but would be interested in others thought....
Situational. My feeling is that you are more likely to need extra traction when going uphill. And when going up, you have a lot more vehicle weight on the rear axle, so it has the ability to generate more traction than the front. But, don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to it.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good discussion. Indeed, do need safe snow traction. Was supposed to be trail rig but so much fun to drive its a 50/50 DD as well now!

I have nagging feeling would want a locker at some point later but still like idea of TT for on road. Leaning towards locker rear and TT up front. Anyone run that set up?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKPier
Good discussion. Indeed, do need safe snow traction. Was supposed to be trail rig but so much fun to drive its a 50/50 DD as well now!

I have nagging feeling would want a locker at some point later but still like idea of TT for on road. Leaning towards locker rear and TT up front. Anyone run that set up?
There's plenty of people on here that went with that setup on their rigs...pretty unstoppable. For me I went TT both front/rear since I live in Michigan and never ever have one tire in the air. My rig is mostly a dedicated trail runner...TT w/a good set of rubber will get you in and out of most places w/minimal effort...next plan is the winch

Quick Reply: Truetrac owners - performance offroad?