Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to locate popping/clunking - driverside under floorboard

Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to locate popping/clunking - driverside under floorboard

Happens when turning. Is very intermittent. Occurs when backing up and moving forward. Cannot replicate by rocking Jeep. Visually checked all suspension components when noise was occurring, haven’t found anything that may be loose. Sound seems to be originating from under the drivers side floorboard. Just above the control arm bolt areas, but it doesn’t seem to be the control arm bolts that is causing the sound.

Video: https://youtu.be/CMT4eqEyl5s
Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BradleyC
Happens when turning. Is very intermittent. Occurs when backing up and moving forward. Cannot replicate by rocking Jeep. Visually checked all suspension components when noise was occurring, haven’t found anything that may be loose. Sound seems to be originating from under the drivers side floorboard. Just above the control arm bolt areas, but it doesn’t seem to be the control arm bolts that is causing the sound.

I'd first adjust the door latch (the one on the door frame of the body) and tighten up your driver side door a little. I'd also do the rear door, if it is a JKU. Mine made a clunk early on that was cured by doing this. However, I've had a pop in the A-pillar from day 1. I never have been able to figure that one out, so I got used to it.

I'd start with the doors, though. If that doesn't work, then I'd look at the busings on the front lower and upper control arms.

Let us know if you figure it out. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Bushings are a good idea. Might also check out the axle U-joints. Sometimes where a noise is coming from can be deceiving.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmwil
I'd first adjust the door latch (the one on the door frame of the body) and tighten up your driver side door a little. I'd also do the rear door, if it is a JKU. Mine made a clunk early on that was cured by doing this. However, I've had a pop in the A-pillar from day 1. I never have been able to figure that one out, so I got used to it.

I'd start with the doors, though. If that doesn't work, then I'd look at the busings on the front lower and upper control arms.

Let us know if you figure it out. Good luck!
Hey thanks, I’ll definitely give the door a look, but I’m fairly certain it’s something else. I’ll just remove the door and do a test drive to rule that out, haha.

Today I’m going to grease up the boot on the intermediate steering shaft. I found some old(2013) posts about how lack of grease in that boot could cause a similar occurance.

I can also see some wear on my front driveshaft at the rzeppa boot, I’m wondering if maybe that joint has dried out and a new driveshaft is in my future. Will remove and test.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm going to say the u- joint is starting to fail. Since it was making the noise both when turning the wheel stationary and when moving. And seemed to increase when you were rolling. If you feel a binding or pulsing int he steering wheel when making a turn left turn that would also be a good indicator. Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 11-02-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Check..

Originally Posted by BradleyC

Tighten the track bar on the driver side. Will feel tight but it's not. Usually will "pop" when you turn your wheels all the way left or right when its loose.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for flashlight rolling around under seat.....don't ask...lol
Old 11-02-2017, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatGuyRic
Tighten the track bar on the driver side. Will feel tight but it's not. Usually will "pop" when you turn your wheels all the way left or right when its loose.
Originally Posted by jchappies
Check for flashlight rolling around under seat.....don't ask...lol
OP was kind enough to link a video. It's definitely not these.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Solved: the noise was my driver side upper control arm! *ugh*

The arm was binding and would only come loose as a specific angle. Took my buddy like 2 mins to figure it out, after I spent 1 night and half a day trying to track it down on my own. We both torqued it down and the Jeep has been riding quietly and smoothly ever since.

I thought for sure that it was something wrong with the driveline. Maybe this will be an example of don’t rush to the most extreme potential cause of an issue. Should have just realized that I changed the control arms a year ago and a bolt may be wiggling loose. Thanks for your help guys.

Quick Reply: Trying to locate popping/clunking - driverside under floorboard