Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line X - but weird beads in my tub

Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line X - but weird beads in my tub

Okay... First, I don't have any pics 'cause the JK is at the shop getting the Line-X done. However, quick question to see if anyone else had this issue...

When I pulled out the carpet I found what looked like a series of welds running across each of the floor pans (driver's, passenger's, driver rear, passenger rear, and cargo). All the pics of post Line-X jobs I've seen didn't show anything like this at all.

My JK is an 07 Unlimited, so wasn't sure if this was unique to the first model year. The shop says he's going to lay it on thick over the beads to smooth it out as best as he can. I'm going to run my rubber floor mats anyway when all is said and done, so they'll be covered again anyway.

I'll post pics after... but in the meantime, anyone else out there notice this? Or know why they are there?

Cheers
Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

It's soundproofing/heat shielding depending on who you ask. I took mine out before I lined mine, but it was a PITA! If you don't remove it, you'll see it through the lining.

As far as weather it makes any difference in anything besides aesthetics? My is that the linex should hold up just fine over the caulk stuff, but not as well as if it is applied right on the steel.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chewie
It's soundproofing/heat shielding depending on who you ask. I took mine out before I lined mine, but it was a PITA! If you don't remove it, you'll see it through the lining.

As far as weather it makes any difference in anything besides aesthetics? My is that the linex should hold up just fine over the caulk stuff, but not as well as if it is applied right on the steel.
that stuff will stick to anything. last shop I worked for had a guy that applied the stuff and he would use tarps as drop sheets to keep the overspray off the benches and walls. well I was in there one day talkin to him and he showed me just how well the stuff is. first he said try and peel it off the tarp wich had no surface clean/prep or primer and it took all I had to peel that shit off. then he says try and cut it with an razor. WOW it was like trying to cut ply wood with a butter knife.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

its a pita to get that crap off the bed but if you can do it looks better and might not crack that stuff gives a bit
Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about floating the area with bondo in a small 6"x6" area to see how well the bondo hold up and then lineX is. I don't think the bondo will add more than about 5 lbs to the weight of the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I sprayed over my caulking. You can see it, but it doesn't look terrible. It is a pain to remove from what I'm told. If there were no difference in price I might have taken it out. But I personally didn't have the time to chisel it out, and wasn't going to pay someone else to do it.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Line X - but weird beads in my tub

The dampening material was left in on mine. No issues, and to me it's not even an eyesore.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

any pics without it removed before the line x
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

its not welding or metal.
its ugly.
its soft.
I believe it shields heat from passenger compartment.
grab a drill and a small wire cup brush, and it'll come right off.
under both front floor mats and under back seat.
I considered leaving mine under backseat since it is out of view, but knew it'd bug me.
spent maybe 45minutes removing all of it to the metal floor.

Quick Reply: Line X - but weird beads in my tub