Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail

Old 07-07-2016, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
Welding on the rear, I wouldn't disassemble a thing. The rear is semi float so the seals are on the end of the tubes at the axle flange. Melting seals was my concern on the front axle, but I lucked out.
what about inner seals? I think this is a great idea.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
what about inner seals? I think this is a great idea.
What inner seals? The rear only has seals at each end of the tube pressed on the axleshaft, you'd have to be welding for a while to burn one of those up
Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
What inner seals? The rear only has seals at each end of the tube pressed on the axleshaft, you'd have to be welding for a while to burn one of those up
I had a brain fart lol.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That was my theory when welding my truss to the center section, it has to be better than nothing: and apt of people say it's not even necessary to weld it.
I cranked up the heat on my Lincoln 180 and it seemed to weld real nice. I pinged the weld after and drank beer.
Looks good Chuck. Should have welded mine up long time ago... I just thought the plug welds were good enough....

Once I had all the weight on the rear and the fronts were just turning and The back was slipping that bump made the rear shimmy and thats when I though I had broke a shaft. I should have aired down more but I was already at 10 PSI without bead locks so thats always a risk to go lower and loose a bead.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Looks good Chuck. Should have welded mine up long time ago... I just thought the plug welds were good enough.... Once I had all the weight on the rear and the fronts were just turning and The back was slipping that bump made the rear shimmy and thats when I though I had broke a shaft. I should have aired down more but I was already at 10 PSI without bead locks so thats always a risk to go lower and loose a bead.
Thanks and I didn't weld my tubes either. I considered it but decided not to since I figured the plug welds would hold. I'm thinking about doing it now
Old 07-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks and I didn't weld my tubes either. I considered it but decided not to since I figured the plug welds would hold. I'm thinking about doing it now

Yeah... this has me thinking about it. I've driven that line that Jonathan broke his on. Combine that with the 6.0L and I'm thinking on it.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2010327767.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	651877

Fun trail close to home. Never had an issue with mine but my ring gear didn't last to long before it was trashed on 37's.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is fun... sad part is it's not a hard trail on my eyes. Jeep Jamboree rated it an 8 out of 10 for diffculity. It was a total mind blow that this happened. None of us had seen it before. We looked at the plugs that fell out they were hollow inside huge air bubbles on the 3 that we could find.

Quick Reply: Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail