Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uniden 980 SSB & Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 in the dash.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uniden 980 SSB & Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 in the dash.

So through some light modification I was able to stack a Uniden 980 SSB cb radio underneath a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502. Those two units stacked together would not fit the standard opening in the dash panel. So i did some light sanding to open it up a little bit. I believe I may be wrapping that part of my dash in a Coyote tan vinyl as well to hide some of the minor flaws but other than that it turned out well. The CB was slightly wider than the radio so I had to put some washers/rubber washer between the double din dash kit and the radio so that the dash kit would be straight vertically when attaching the CB.

For the head unit i ran it all to a PDX-V9 amplifier i have mounted on the side wall of the rear of the jeep. I plan to use kydex to create a removable cover for the amplifier to protect it from damage when throwing things in the back. I also upgraded all the speakers but still have to tune everything.

The CB, I sent the CB out to get an amplifier put in it for when "shit hits the fan" type reasons, probably will never use it but thought it was cool and have it running to an external switch for power if i decide too. I also had the gentleman put a mic connection in the rear of the CB as I didn't want the CB mic wire dangling in my cab. Uniden makes a BT mic that still has a cable but i was able to run it behind the dash and the reception base is screwed underneath the dash out of site but still able to sync with the mic that supposedly has a 100ft or 100m range, one or the other. I mounted the antenna off of the tailgate (spare tire delete) and used a delete plate from TNT customs that had a CB antenna mount. I ran a 12 gauge wire off of that mount back through the door for a better ground to chassis as i was afraid the door would not ground as well being it is on hinges and I suspect there are some sort of bushings. Also, I ran the coax cable through the door as well and up along side the jeep. I have deleted my stock antenna location and used new trail rated badges to cover the existing holes for the stock antenna and I have the cb antenna going through a splitter that is inline throught the coax to use the antenna as both my cb and AM/FM reception. I need one more part to connect all of that, a female to female PL259 connector, that I didn't have as I made a last minute change.

This is the only photo I have as it got dark when i finished. Maybe if people are interested in the set up I can take some of everything tomorrow.

It was a lot of work to try and pre-plan but it turned out exactly how i wanted it to. I just hope the SWR reading isn't to extreme but I believe it will work out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CB & Head unit dash.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	676221  

Quick Reply: Uniden 980 SSB & Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 in the dash.