Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual "Suspension Recommendation" request

Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then it seems I'm right back where I started, not sure which kit to choose. I'd much rather get all or most of the components in a single kit, and install that then try to piece things together from various kits simply due to my lack of time dedicated t working on the Jeep.

More/other suggestions? My goal is to learn from the mistakes of others so I don't repeat them myself.

Tom
Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Metalcloak
Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

OK, I went to the Metal Cloak site and checked out their suspension system. It looks like for about $2800 I could get a good system with Fox Performance Shocks.

Can others chime in if they're having problems with these kits?

The big question... will the front track bar work on a RHD Wrangler Unlimited??

Tom (curious)

P.S. Thanks for the Metal Cloak tip..
Old 09-06-2017, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Spud Racer

Can others chime in if they're having problems with these kits?
A few hundred pages of Metalcloak, fairly popular mfg.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...thread-270191/

I went with the 3.5" coils and the OME long travel shocks they used to suggest. Fits my needs/use just fine, no complaints.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If I had to buy a kit metal cloak would be at the top of the list, synergy would be right up there with them, then genright. RK does not offer a single component that I would even consider putting on my jeep or recommend to anyone. Their track record sucks, but they always have some excuse for it.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I've never heard anyone complain, who has a MC suspension lift and if budget wasn't a concern they would be at the top of my list.

I'm going to throw this out there as another option to look into for what you're looking for, and then go run for cover as TheDirtman likely shreds me apart for even suggesting it.

If I were you, I would highly consider the Teraflex Sport 3in S/T3
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/564a...d70ed493132c1a

It's not a coil over which would be the best for your conditions as TheDirtman originally suggested, but it is designed for rough riding terrain at a more friendly price than a coil over.

I know we joked about it another discussion as the TF SpeedBump progressive bumpstops of just being foam in a can but apparently from others that I have talked with that have this lift, they do seem to work well for absorbing impact and making the ride much smoother on rough terrain. I recently was talking to a colleague in my office who has this lift, where we were having some cooler talk, talking Jeep stuff. He has a really nice Rubicon and does Moab. He said he originally had an AEV lift installed which are known for good on road ride quality. He said, when driving on rough bumpy roads he couldn't stand the AEV lift, and that it wasn't enjoyable to offroad because he was getting jarred all around when the suspension compressed and bottomed out on bumps. He likes to go fast. So he decided to get rid of the AEV lift and went with the TF Sport S/T3 and said the ride is now great going over rough bumpy terrain. He started to talk about how the TF progressive bump stops seemed to be a key factor in the improved ride he was experiencing on the rough terrain. I interrupted him and said, "I heard those are nothing but cans filled with foam?". He responded pretty adamantly, "I don't care if they are just cans filled with foam, I can tell you from personal experience they work and now when my suspension bottoms out to the bump stops, I no longer get that jarring effect like my teeth are being shoved through my skull like I used to get with the AEV lift."

So take it for it's worth, from anyone that's owned the TF S/T3 they also seem to be pretty happy with it, especially in regards to improved ride quality on rough terrain roads like you are describing. It also comes with dual reservoir Fox shocks which I'm sure helps as well. The TF front adjustable TB is also a very nice adjustable TB. I'm not familiar with RH drive vehicle suspensions, but I would see no reason that the TF TB couldn't be mounted in the opposite direction if that's how it's done on RH drive vehicles.

I'm going to go run and hide now................

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-07-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciate the added input. I have considered the Teraflex systems. I'll admit that I'd never heard of MetalCloak before and figured they were some new kid on the block. But I'm hooked after reading about their springs, and bushings, and shock mounts. If nobody is saying bad things about their systems, then that's good enough for me.

I was willing to go up to $2500 for a full suspension system, but how can I say that I cannot afford an extra $350 and instead buy a system that I'll regret. I'll have to cut the cost somewhere else to make it happen.

I should have the money next week, and barring no bad input, I think I finally found my suspension system, the MetalCloak Fox Edition Game Changer kit. Fox 2.0 Performance shocks OK?

Tom in PNG
Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Do yourself a favor and purchase the two sizes of crows foot wrenches you'd need for the control arm jam nuts if you don't have some already. Believe you'll want a 1 1/2" and a 1 7/8". They do make torquing the jam nuts easier. You can get them cheaper on Amazon or eBay vs. what MC charges for theirs.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

You can't get an open-end wrench on them?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Crows foot will have more clearance instead of a big open end wrench.

Quick Reply: Unusual "Suspension Recommendation" request