Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded alternator options

Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The last time I had looked into upgrading the alternator it was due to I have 3000 Watt audio system, and my headlights would dim when my dual 12in sub woofers hit and my battery was not fully charging. What I came to realize was that the stock alternator was actually a pretty high output alternator, and upgrade alternator options were minimally higher current upgrades, but definitely not worth justifying the $600-$700 prices to upgrade to them.

I ended up purchasing some 4AWG wire, and wired it in parallel with the existing alternator, Batt Ground, and Batt B+ wires. More commonly known as the Big 3 upgrade. I also purchased an AGM higher CCA marine battery. My battery charges fine, and no more light dimming issues. I also run my 12K winch off of that same setup with no issues. I'm not a big fan of dual battery setups. Takes up too much space, too much costs and complications in battery replacement. I prefer to get a better marine battery, and upgrading the wiring so that it is capable of charging and delivering the additional power draw requirements.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-03-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm so you're saying that the wire is to narrow and you get improved performance upgrading? 160 amp alternator with a short run doesn't really seem like the wire needs to be upgraded like that....
Old 07-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kejtar
Hmmmmm so you're saying that the wire is to narrow and you get improved performance upgrading? 160 amp alternator with a short run doesn't really seem like the wire needs to be upgraded like that....
The factory wire connected to the alternator is either an 8 or 10 AWG wire. I'm going by looks on AWG size, I haven't looked it up. Ronjenx seems to know how to look up the exact numbers.

According to this chart, Max current capacity of copper wire.
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
8AWG= 63 amps
10AWG=55 amps

I added 4 AWG to the existing wiring.
4AWG= 133 amps.

133amps + 55 amps (min using 10AWG)= 188 amps

And you said the alternator is 160amps?

The math makes sense to me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-03-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
It has been well documented that upgrading the Big 3, as Rednroll noted, is beneficial to the JK's electrical system performance even if you don't intend to run a bigger alternator.

I would not install a higher capacity alternator without also increasing the size of the wire between it and the battery.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The last time I had looked into upgrading the alternator it was due to I have 3000 Watt audio system, and my headlights would dim when my dual 12in sub woofers hit and my battery was not fully charging. What I came to realize was that the stock alternator was actually a pretty high output alternator, and upgrade alternator options were minimally higher current upgrades, but definitely not worth justifying the $600-$700 prices to upgrade to them. I ended up purchasing some 4AWG wire, and wired it in parallel with the existing alternator, Batt Ground, and Batt B+ wires. More commonly known as the Big 3 upgrade. I also purchased an AGM higher CCA marine battery. My battery charges fine, and no more light dimming issues. I also run my 12K winch off of that same setup with no issues. I'm not a big fan of dual battery setups. Takes up too much space, too much costs and complications in battery replacement. I prefer to get a better marine battery, and upgrading the wiring so that it is capable of charging and delivering the additional power draw requirements.
Did you try a large cap (power cap) to help with the bass? It will charge to ground and look like an open until the amplifier needs high current fast. Roughly 1F per KW of audio power. I call them large because they physically are (have to be to store the energy levels needed)
Old 07-03-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory wire connected to the alternator is either an 8 or 10 AWG wire. I'm going by looks on AWG size, I haven't looked it up. Ronjenx seems to know how to look up the exact numbers.

According to this chart, Max current capacity of copper wire.
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
8AWG= 63 amps
10AWG=55 amps

I added 4 AWG to the existing wiring.
4AWG= 133 amps.

133amps + 55 amps (min using 10AWG)= 188 amps

And you said the alternator is 160amps?

The math makes sense to me.
Now that you put it that way it makes sense off to do some wiring am I
Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... I'm not a big fan of dual battery setups. Takes up too much space, too much costs and complications in battery replacement. I prefer to get a better marine battery, and upgrading the wiring so that it is capable of charging and delivering the additional power draw requirements.
Different strokes for different folks. I do want to clarify, however, that I run AGM batteries. They still fail. Ray had one fail on the Dalton Highway during our Al-Can trip. Fortunately, he also has dual-batteries, so we weren't looking at 750 miles of overland travel with me having to jump him every time we stopped.

11:15 if not forwarded automatically (and then continues on part 9) ...

https://youtu.be/0Eyq1klfCkI?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmBSNAXSfR8OG9jIeB94XTz&t=675
Old 07-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Different strokes for different folks. I do want to clarify, however, that I run AGM batteries. They still fail. Ray had one fail on the Dalton Highway during our Al-Can trip. Fortunately, he also has dual-batteries, so we weren't looking at 750 miles of overland travel with me having to jump him every time we stopped.

11:15 if not forwarded automatically (and then continues on part 9) ...

https://youtu.be/0Eyq1klfCkI?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmBSNAXSfR8OG9jIeB94XTz&t=675
Don't get me wrong, I never said they weren't a useful setup. I'm just not a fan of them for my purposes. You do over-landing where I could see that as a good use for a dual battery setup. Then again, on the other hand, if I decided to go on an overland adventure, I would likely just charge up and throw a spare battery in with the rest of the gear along with the fuel cans. My purpose for an AGM, in addition to the rugged offroad use and in regards to this discussion is that AGM batteries are available in higher current rating outputs than lead-Acid cell when compared within the same footprint size due to being able to compress more material into that same footprint.

What's the use cases for a dual battery setup? Higher current output? Then I would rather get a larger battery. Having a backup battery available in case the primary drains? Then I would rather have a backup battery without taking up the additional space under the hood with all the additional wiring.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Dual battery is a good backup plan without taking up the extra cargo space. I was coming home one night and I had a battery die on me at midnight 2 hours north of my home. Not an issue with the dual battery- just hit the solenoid and the jeep runs as advertised.

I've also got mine set up with my auxiliary lighting (all LED), winch, and on board air (again with the cargo space concerns in a 2dr). I can run the compressor or even the winch and still have enough juice to start the jeep.....even though I'm typically idling while running either accessory.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I had checked into this as part of installing a dual-battery system. Ended up not doing it and it has not been a problem for me. But, this is the company whose alternator I was considering ...

Premier Power Welder, LLC

FYI, if you do upgrade, than I'd recommend upgrading the alternator wiring harness as well. You're probably on your own to build that.

EDIT: Just another thought ... Have you considered installing a second battery and wiring the trailer to that? With a proper battery isolator, you won't have any problems keeping both batteries charged. Overland Journal's latest issue has a review on some of the different isolator options, along with explanations of the technology used and advantages/disadvantages of each.

If you're unfamiliar with the isolators, they insure that the start battery is charged before the isolator connects the batteries together to charge the aux/house battery. I monitor both of my battery voltages and it does a nice job. Typically takes a couple, three minutes for the isolator to be happy that the start battery is charged enough to tie the aux battery in. That is because in my system the bulk of the voltage demand when parked is loaded onto the aux battery only (the one exception being the fridge).
Do you happen to know the name of the article in Overland Journal for the battery isolators? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Quick Reply: Upgraded alternator options