Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPGRADING TO 37"s! NEED HELP!!

Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

EthanS, it says you're from St Louis. Take it out to O'Fallon to Axleboy Offoad. They will help you with everything you need. Great honest people and shop.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
This has to be very overwhelming for a lot of people to take in.
Right? Lots of myths and fantasies about doing bigger than 35's on the cheap. It can be done, but it won't be right and will end up costing way more money in the long run do undo and redo correctly. The Just Empty Every Pocket punchline isn't wrong at all.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The broken sector shaft happened to me recently. Wheels straight, left front hit an ice shelf pretty hard. (I'm only running 33s and I think I hit right at the half way point of the tire. So it was a full force transfer to the steering components.) Relatively new to this, so I have a question. Would a sector shaft reinforcement kit have helped there? My gut says yes, but they seem to be heavily focused on protecting bracket welds and not the sector shaft. (The JKS one does appear to offload stress from the sector shaft, so I'm pretty focused on that one.) No plans to go above 35" on this build, so I can't see going hydro. Didn't go big bore either, just had an OEM box replacement done.

Luckily, I was with a group that was phenomenal in getting my jeep back to a county road for a tow!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by jballz01
Would a sector shaft reinforcement kit have helped there? My gut says yes, but they seem to be heavily focused on protecting bracket welds and not the sector shaft. (The JKS one does appear to offload stress from the sector shaft, so I'm pretty focused on that one.) No plans to go above 35" on this build, so I can't see going hydro. Didn't go big bore either, just had an OEM box replacement done.
Man, think that one gets chalked up to just bad luck. I've actually never looked at the JKS version. That is much more extensive than the Synergy version that has been floating around for years. I'd have to think that it would have helped avoid the damage. In most situations I think the PSC big bore box is redonk, especially for the price. When looking at this JKS sector brace kit though, it kind of makes me wonder if that entailed install and price tag, combined with what you could sell your factory box for, might make the big bore box a better option for a slight bit more money, even though you don't plan to go any bigger with tires. One thought here is that with the big bore box, you could also uninstall and sell it later down the road, replacing with another factory box whereas the JKS components would be a pain in the ass. Most reports of broken/bent sector shafts really seem to be larger tires, lack of hydro, and proclivity of playing in big rocks and extreme off-camber situations that lock up the steering system. It sounds like it just wasn't your day and you caught a random bad drop right as the stars were aligning.

The big knock on the Synergy model was that it didn't like to play with non-synergy TBs, and also that the brace would contact most non-synergy springs on the outter side of the frame rail. This seems like a better design, although not as simple of an install and at a much higher cost. It's interesting, but I think I'd rather go a different route myself. Just my opinion. I'd probably even just say the odds of that happening again to you are extremely slim. Curious to hear some other opinions.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with what nthinuf already said.

What I would stress that you don’t NEED 4” to run 37s, and tbh, the higher you go the less favors you’re doing yourself. IDK why everyone tends to think higher is better. You may like the “look” of higher, but it gets less functional as your center of gravity is going up. You are actually just decreasing performance IMO.

So, with 37s, you need to think about these things:
  • You’ll most likely have to regear, which means adding a programmer as well if you don’t already have one
    • This could lead you down the whole “do I want to add lockers or not at the same time
      • Which will lead you down the rabbit hole of WHICH lockers
        • Which could lead you down the path or replacing axle shafts to match new locker spline count
        • Which could lead you down the path of is putting money in to a D30 worthwhile
  • ​​​​​​​You’ll probably need new rear axle shafts as the factory flanges tend to bend easily with 37s (even if you don’t off road)
  • 3.5” BS is most appropriate for 37s, and you’re not going to find many non-beadlock options with that BS
    • You can indeed run spacers…..those can get to be a drag if you do much work on your jeep IMO
      • If you have spacers, many tire shops won’t touch your vehicle. This depends on location usually.
      • If you have beadlocks, many shops won’t touch your vehicle. This depends on location usually.
  • You’d better factor in some expensive ball joints, Rare Parts would be your best option
    • Factory BJs ain’t gonna hold up, and if you wheel, odds of TF, Synergy, Alloy….they’re all a crapshoot
    • I cannot recommend DT at all. You can search up my thread on rebuilding those….not worthwhile.
  • Plan on new drive shaft if lifting 3”+, or at the VERY lease rebuilding a factory shaft using the TF high angle rzeppa.
    • Boot at the TC-side CV joint will rip, spew all the grease, and the joint will dry out leading to early failure
  • With 37s and 3”+ lift, you really need to have a full set of control arms IMO.
    • Especially in the rear, you’re gonna want the ability to move the axle back again as the tire really creeps forward in the wheel well
      • Even with significant trimming of the pinch seam, which you’re gonna have to do, you’ll probably want more clearance
        • Pushing the axle back will probably require you to relocate or remove your rear sway bar back an inch
          • Relocating your rear sway bar will probably force you to address the factory muffler
            • If you relocate the muffler to between the axles, you’ll need to address evap canister
  • If you wheel, you’ll probably need to address your exhaust crossover up front.
    • Exhaust spacers are a bandaid IMO
  • You may likely want to upgrade your brakes, and will be deciding between big brake kits and big rotor kits
  • You’ll address every steering and suspension component as already mentioned. TR, DL, TB, control arms, springs, shocks, bump stops, sway links, brake lines, etc.
  • Probably want to add C gussets at the very least if you don’t have em already

I mean, the list goes on and on. I know there’s more stuff I'm forgetting at the moment…..this is just quick “off the top of my head” stuff. In all honestly, if you’re building a 3.5” lift with 37s, you need to be expecting to commit ~$10k or more to it. You can’t do it cheap or else you’re going to end up with a turd that is constantly frustrating you. You just really need to consider EVERYTHING that goes in to a build, otherwise stuff is going to sneak up on you and you'll feel like you're constantly bleeding money.
Autotraders Jeep page just broke the internet!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY CRAP!!! Have y'all ever seen a dog tuck his tail between his legs and take off running like a bat outta hell? That's me after reading this thread.... LOL

I just got my 08 JKX and it already has new takeoff Rubicon Wheels and Tires. I'm pretty sure they're 32" tall.

It also got heavier springs and new shocks which gave it a 1.5" lift according to my buddy who sold it to me.

The wheels have spacers that give it a slightly wider stance.

I was very excited looking at the many pictures of JK's on the net with 37's and said to myself... Gotta get me some....

Now? Well.... Maybe I'll stick with my 32's and the spacers and cheapo 1.5" lift. I really DO like the way it looks and rides and handles off road although the ride is a bit stiff.

I could probably afford the $10K but I'm no mechanic so I'm not even gonna estimate what it would cost me if I had to pay someone to do it all.

I've owned 4wd trucks for over 40 years so offroading is nothing new to me but this is my first Jeep and up until now I didn't know how much fun driving could be... Yes... My name is Bob and I'm a Jeepaholic...
Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LDHunter
HOLY CRAP!!! Have y'all ever seen a dog tuck his tail between his legs and take off running like a bat outta hell? That's me after reading this thread.... LOL

I just got my 08 JKX and it already has new takeoff Rubicon Wheels and Tires. I'm pretty sure they're 32" tall.

It also got heavier springs and new shocks which gave it a 1.5" lift according to my buddy who sold it to me.

The wheels have spacers that give it a slightly wider stance.

I was very excited looking at the many pictures of JK's on the net with 37's and said to myself... Gotta get me some....

Now? Well.... Maybe I'll stick with my 32's and the spacers and cheapo 1.5" lift. I really DO like the way it looks and rides and handles off road although the ride is a bit stiff.

I could probably afford the $10K but I'm no mechanic so I'm not even gonna estimate what it would cost me if I had to pay someone to do it all.

I've owned 4wd trucks for over 40 years so offroading is nothing new to me but this is my first Jeep and up until now I didn't know how much fun driving could be... Yes... My name is Bob and I'm a Jeepaholic...
Run what ya got... or... if you want to go up in size, stop at 35s.. that's reasonable for most folks.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Run what ya got... or... if you want to go up in size, stop at 35s.. that's reasonable for most folks.
Y, the performance difference between 35s and 37s is marginal at best. I mean, there is a difference, but 95% of what you're doing on 37s you can do just the same on 35s. Every now and then you run across something where that bit of extra size makes a difference. For people doing it purely for looks, i don't think it makes sense, but that's just me.

**if you do that just for looks, next thing you know you just pull up next to someone on 40's and feel just as inadequate.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

**if you do that just for looks, next thing you know you just pull up next to someone on 40's and feel just as inadequate.
Hmmm, now I need 40s.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Y, the performance difference between 35s and 37s is marginal at best. I mean, there is a difference, but 95% of what you're doing on 37s you can do just the same on 35s. Every now and then you run across something where that bit of extra size makes a difference. For people doing it purely for looks, i don't think it makes sense, but that's just me.

Which is why I said stop at 35s. The difference I perceived between 35s and 37s is so very little. I think I got more improvement from my own experience than I did from the tire size change.

As for inadequate feelings... I'll just leave this here... bahahahahaha ...

Quick Reply: UPGRADING TO 37"s! NEED HELP!!