JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Upgrading TF BB (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/upgrading-tf-bb-345505/)

Desert Snow 03-04-2018 09:59 AM

Upgrading TF BB

I’m running a TF 2.5” BB that’s about 4 years old now. I upgraded the stock shocks to Fox 2.0 Performance and eliminated the shock extensions. I added some disconnects along the way too. I’m now looking for some practical and logical upgrades to plan out.

How have most of you progressed your TF BB?

Whats your opinion on upgrading the bump stops? Springs?

I look forward to suggestions! Thanks.

resharp001 03-05-2018 07:28 AM

The next logical progression would be adding new springs and ditching the pucks. Look to add adjustable track bars front and rear (think you should already have a raised bracket in the rear). Address caster correction with adjustable control arms or control arm brackets. Think about steering upgrades along the way…..new TR and DL at some point. Brake lines are nice upgrade as well.

Bump stops are always something to address when the suspension changes. The only good way to determine proper bumpstops is to cycle the suspension.

BoraBora 03-05-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4316021)
The next logical progression would be adding new springs and ditching the pucks. Look to add adjustable track bars front and rear (think you should already have a raised bracket in the rear). Address caster correction with adjustable control arms or control arm brackets. Think about steering upgrades along the way…..new TR and DL at some point. Brake lines are nice upgrade as well.

Bump stops are always something to address when the suspension changes. The only good way to determine proper bumpstops is to cycle the suspension.

^x10000! Very important. Never buy bumpstops based off lift height. Same goes for shocks. Only proper way to do it is to cycle the suspension and take some measurements.

Desert Snow 03-05-2018 12:37 PM

When looking at springs what should be taken into consideration? I do tow a 1900lb off road trailer and I feel like it may have accelerated wear on my rear shocks, which were replaced and sent out to be rebuilt. Are stiffer springs in order? I assume match the lift with 2.5” lift springs.

catahoula 03-05-2018 12:57 PM

What tires are you running?

Desert Snow 03-05-2018 01:04 PM

Trail Grappler: 295/70R18

resharp001 03-06-2018 08:14 AM

Do you feel like you need more than the BB you have? Just curious. A lot of people go down the route of the budget boost as a means to achieve the look a little quicker, and a smaller cost. Then, they circle back around when funds are available and do more of a "real" lift. That is the perspective my original comment was coming from. Unlike the budget boost, it's a little harder to tell what kind of actual lift you'll net with new springs. All depends on weight of your jeep and which manufacturer you choose to go with.

Desert Snow 03-07-2018 06:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. No, I don’t feel like I need to increase the height. I’m pretty happy with the performance, but I don’t really know what I’m missing out on either. I want to stiffen it up a bit for my towing and replace cheap or inferior parts that wear or stress. The springs are getting noisy, so I imagine the trailer wreaked some havoc on the rears. I really want to start introducing higher quality parts, enjoy performing the installs, hopefully see a noticeable difference, and know that I’m not just throwing money away while doing it.

catahoula 03-07-2018 07:18 PM

OME has some HD coils that might help to stiffen it up. I have a 2 door unlike you and added 4 door coils 18/59. It stiffened my ride up.

Jahamm88 03-07-2018 08:52 PM

If you want to stay at about the same height look at 2.5" coils for a 2 door.

I ran(and they are now in the garage) 2.5" 2 door Metalcloak springs for awhile before my build got heavy and I netted right around 2.25" measured lift. A lot of 4dr springs can lift up to 1" or more over advertised height so keep that in mind as well