Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading TF BB

Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve looked at those OME’s. What’s with the 2.25” size? Does that mean I need a spacer too (to match 2.5”). Are there drawbacks to this? And, I imagine it’s recommended to swap out the front springs too?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Snow
I’ve looked at those OME’s. What’s with the 2.25” size? Does that mean I need a spacer too (to match 2.5”). Are there drawbacks to this? And, I imagine it’s recommended to swap out the front springs too?
OME is a special case, you can't go by the listed height. Find the chart. It will list coil numbers, and relate each number to an actual load rate. So in essence, Light/Medium/Heavy coils could all give 2" - assuming the vehicles were progressively heavy enough to compress the coils that much. Or, using the same light vehicle, you could get 2"/2.75"/3.5" from the different rate coils that all say 2". Just depends on which coil and your overall vehicle weight.

For instance, I had OME Heavy Duty coils. They were listed as 2", but actually gave me a bit over 3.25" (with a steel bumper and 9500lb winch w/steel cable) Quite a bit more than I expected, and a fairly firm ride because I was rarely loaded down.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense. I just purchased the rear 2.25” ARB (OME) HD springs. I believe they’re the 2620, which is the 660lb option. I’m going to hold off on any spacer and see if they net the same amount of lift.

What else should I be taking into account with this replacement/upgrade? Should I be removing the front spacers at the same time? What pitfalls am I possibly in for?

Quick Reply: Upgrading TF BB