Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to lift it

Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to lift it

I have a stock X 2dr with a 6 spd and 3.21 gears. I want to lift it and put 32 or 33's on it, I would prefer 33's, the bigger the better without changing too much . Most driving will be daily driving (my wife) and some 4 wheelin on the weekends. I don't want to get into all knds of money. I would like a nice lift kit that includes everything I need. Do I need to change shocks, etc. Do I have to lengthen drive shaft, brake lines etc? I would like to get BFGR MTR, but I want a tire that wears well due to most miles being driven on the hi-way. Do I need to use spacers for the wheels? I want to have the same turning radius as now and don't want to rub anywhere or detract from anything I have now? I know this is a lot and kind of jumping all over the place but I want to do it right. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

hey im not pos. but i think if you change the shocks and put like a 2.5 lift on it youll clear 33's fine as far as useing the same wheels with 33's you might need a spacer

hope it helps a little
will
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am going to change the wheels as well, not sure what size to go with though. I am looking at something like american racing. This is all new to me, I had a Cherokee lifted up, but I just threw some 31's on there with the stock wheels. What wheels and tires are a good 33 inch combo? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

you dont even need to lift it if you're just planning on running 32's. 33's from what i hear rub a tiny but but if you trim the air dam they're good to go with no lift. I dont think anybody's lifting these things and running anything under 35's since theres really no need to.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

well im not to sure im haveing the same delama the only diffrence is im going 35's im thinking about a 16x8 with a 5x5 lug pattern (needed for the JKs) with a 4.5 backspaceing as far as tires go i love the Mud tires thats what im going with... i do a lot of highway driving so there going to ware fast... but thell look sick the look of my toys is what gets me off i love sitting in my garage staring at them as much as useing them
Old 01-16-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking at BFGR MT they are255- 85- 16, what are these equivelant to? and 16x8 wheels they are 5x5 with 4.25 BS. Will this work? If I don't have to lift it right now I will hold off on that. Will the tight turning radius stay the same?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at Quadratec site and they have a sky jacker 3.5 lift with nitro shocks is this a full kit and is that all I would need? i know I am asking alot of questions but better to ask first then get stuck with wrong stuff right.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
I am looking at BFGR MT they are255- 85- 16, what are these equivelant to? and 16x8 wheels they are 5x5 with 4.25 BS. Will this work? If I don't have to lift it right now I will hold off on that. Will the tight turning radius stay the same?
255/85R16 would be a 33x10R16 in LT sizes. And yes, that is actually MORE offset than you really need to run this setup. The standard tire on a Rubicon is a BFG MTR 255/75R17 (same tread width, 1 inch smaller in overall diameter).

You might seriously consider buying the stock wheels and tires from someone driving a Rubicon who has swapped them out. You could probably strike a pretty good deal and have almost the exact same setup with half an inch less ground clearance than what you're proposing. You wouldn't need any lift, and would maintain a fairly stock ride.

If you really want the 33s, you may need a slight lift.

-E
Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think if I add 32's, I will probally want bigger. If I go any bigger and put that 3.5 sky jacker lift on am I getting into driveline issues, turning decreased etc?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift

I am running a 2" suspension lift with new shocks and 305x70x16 MTR's (33") with American Racing 16x8 rims with 4.5" of BS.

The tires rubbed hard on the swaybar before the rim change and hit the inside fender and dam without the lift at full flex.

The ride is better with the lift and the 4.10 gears handle the 33's just fine with an automatic.

I like the look and functionality of the combo so far.

Here is the picture link

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=55

Quick Reply: Want to lift it